Wild Mushroom and Chevre Raviolini
Recipe courtesy of Paul Liptak, Executive Chef, Belleair (Fla.) Country Club
- Pasta Dough
- all-purpose flour - 2 cups
- semolina - 1.5 cups
- salt - 1/4 tsp.
- eggs - 4 ea., large
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 Tbsp.
- Egg Wash
- eggs - 2 ea.
- water - 2 oz.
- Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Ravioloni Filling
- extra virgin olive oil - 4 oz.
- Spanish onion - 1 ea., small, small-diced
- maitake mushrooms - 16 oz., fresh, pre-washed, towel-dried, medium diced
- cremini mushrooms - 16 oz., fresh, pre-washed, towel-dried, medium diced
- gray oyster mushrooms - 16 oz., fresh, pre-washed, towel-dried, medium diced
- garlic - 4 cloves, finely chopped
- kosher salt - 1 tsp.
- red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp.
- Sauvignon Blanc - 4 oz., dry
- chicken stock - 6 oz. (house)
- veal demi - 6 oz. (house)
- thyme - 2 tsp., de-stemmed and chopped
- rosemary - 1 tsp., de-stemmed and chopped
- Glenview Farms Goat Cheese - 10.5 oz.
- Lemon Thyme Butter Sauce
- clarified butter - 1 oz.
- shallots - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- lemon - 2 ea., juiced, zest reserved to finish sauce
- Sauvignon Blanc - 4 oz.
- heavy cream - 8 oz.
- Plugra butter - 1/2 lb., unsalted, cut into Tbsp.-size pieces
- thyme leaves - 1 tsp., de-stemmed, finely chopped
- kosher salt - to taste
Procedure for Pasta Dough:
- In KitchenAid mixer with dough hook attachment, combine flour, semolina and salt.
- Mix eggs and olive oil in a bowl. Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into the bowl. Begin mixing egg and flour. Add remaining egg mixture and mix until the dough forms a ball and pulls from bowl.
- Mix dough (slow speed, l) until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Form dough into 2 balls and wrap tightly with plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- While the pasta dough is resting, prepare the raviolini filling:
Procedure for Mushroom and Goat Cheese Filling:
- In a large, wide saucepan add 4 oz. olive oil and bring to medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the fresh mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Reduce heat and add the garlic. Add the wine. Season with salt and red pepper, and continue cooking until reduced by half,
- Add both stocks. Continue to simmer until most of broth is absorbed by mushrooms (Chef's note: It should be the consistency of ragout.)
- Fold in thyme, rosemary and crumbled goat cheese. Adjust salt if necessary.
- Refrigerate prior to preparing raviolini.
Procedure for Lemon Thyme Beurre Blanc:
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of clarified butter in a saucepan and add the shallots. Cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the lemon juice and Sauvignon Blanc. Cook until the liquid is almost totally reduced.
- Add the heavy cream and salt and bring to the Simmer. Reduce by half.
- Remove from heat. Add the butter, a few at a time, whisking until incorporated.
- Finish with lemon zest and thyme leaves, Adjust salt to taste.
Procedure for Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Raviolini:
- Roll out the pasta dough into thin sheets, utilizing pasta roller to #4 setting. Brush the egg wash over a sheet of pasta.
- Spoon wild mushroom/goat cheese filling in 1-Tbsp. portions onto the dough, 1-inch apart.
- Cover the filling with the top sheet of pasta. Use your fingers to press around each portion of filling, making the seal as airtight as possible.
- Cut out individual ravioli with a pizza cutter. Use entree fork to seal the edges.
- Steam raviolini in steamer for 5 minutes. Chill and reserve for dinner service.
Procedure for Service:
- Place the cooked ravioli on the oiled sizzle platters and bake in the 350°F preheated oven until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Place single raviolini over 2 oz. reserved heated mushroom ragout in entree bowl.
- Finish with a Tbsp. lemon-thyme butter sauce.
- Garnish with micro-greens.