- Yield: one full sheet in frame
Vanilla Bean Mousse
Recipe courtesy of Jennifer Kopp, Executive Chef, The Metropolitan Club of Washington (D.C.)
- For Graham Crust
- milk - 36 ozs.
- vanilla beans - 4 each, seeded
- sugar - 13 ozs.
- egg yolks - 24 ozs.
- butter - 10 ozs.
- gelatin - 20 sheets
- vanilla extract - 2 ozs.
- Grand Marnier - to taste
- Cointreau - to taste
- heavy cream - 49 ozs.
- apple cake - 1 sheet
- cake - 1 sheet, apple cake, spice cake, or hazelnut dacquoise caramelized apples milk chocolate ganache glaze
- Line a full sheet pan with parchment paper, and lay a sheet of cake on the bottom.
- Place a cake frame on the sheet.
- Sprinkle caramelized, diced apples over the cake.
- For mousse: Place milk and vanilla beans in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Sprinkle sugar over the top of the milk. Boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks.
- Temper the boiling milk into the eggs, and back into the saucepan. Cook, whisking, until thick.
- Remove from heat. Place in mixing bowl and mix in butter.
- Bloom gelatin in ice water, drain, and melt.
- Temper gelatin into warm pastry cream. Add liqueurs and flavorings.
- Whip heavy cream to soft peak, and fold in.
- Pour into sheet, making sure to avoid air pockets around the apples. Freeze.
- Lift frame slightly; glaze top with milk chocolate glaze, remove frame.
- Freeze until glaze is set. Cut into rectangles.
- Serve with caramelized apples, cranberry pate de fruit, cranberry sauce, apple chip, and tuile.