- Yield: 10-12 servings
Vanilla Bean Arborio Rice Pudding with Grand Marnier Macerated Berries and Toasted Sugar Almond Crisp
Recipe courtesy of Mark Mathurin, Executive Chef, Nashawtuc Country Club, Concord, Mass.
- For Vanilla Bean Arborio Rice Pudding
- Tahitian vanilla beans - 2, split and scraped
- whole milk - 1/2 gal.
- Arborio rice - 3/4 cup
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- butter - 2 ozs., diced
- kosher salt - pinch
- For Grand Marnier Macerated Berries
- de-stemmed strawberries - 1/2 cup
- raspberries - 1/2 cup
- blackberries - 1/2 cup
- blueberries - 1/2 cup
- raspberry puree - 1/2 cup
- pure vanilla extract - 1 Tbsp.
- ground cinnamon - 1/2 tsp.
- powdered sugar - 1/4 cu[
- Grand Marnier - 2 Tbsps.
- For Toasted Sugar Almond Crisps
- bread or cake flour - 1 lb.
- unsalted butter - 11 ozs.
- sugar - 5 ozs.
- eggs - 2
- kosher salt - 1/4 tsp.
- vanilla extract - 1 Tbsp.
- almonds - 1 cup, toasted skinless, ground
- Amaretto DiSaronno - 1 Tbsp.
- egg - 1 beaten
For Vanilla Bean Arborio Rice Pudding:
- Pour milk into a heavy bottom saucepan; add rice and sugar, then vanilla.
- Bring mixture to a simmer; reduce heat slightly and stir frequently.
- Simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes, until rice is soft and slightly overdone.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter. Cool mixture.
- Serve cold. Add a little milk if mixture tightens too much.
For Grand Marnier Macerated Berries:
- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and toss gently, until berries have a glazed look and all ingredients appear to be blended in. Serve chilled.
For Toasted Sugar Almond Crisps:
- Cream butter, sugar and salt in a mixer with a paddle on medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time until they absorb.
- Add vanilla.
- Reduce mixer to low speed, add flour in two stages.
- Scrape bowl down.
- Fold in ¾-cup almonds.
- Rest in cooler about one hour before rolling.
- Roll into thin sticks, brush lightly with the beaten egg, sprinkle tops with remaining almonds.
- Bake at 350º F. until light golden brown (about 8 to 10 mins.).
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.