Vanilla Apple Napoleon
Recipe courtesy of James Satterwhite, Executive Pastry Chef, Charlotte Country Club
- Reverse Puff Pastry, 1st mix
- all-purpose flour - 350 gms.
- bread flour - 350 gms.
- butter - 120 gms, melted
- water - 340 gms.
- white vinegar - 20 gms.
- salt - 20 gms.
- Reverse Puff Pastry, 2nd mix
- bread flour - 200 gms.
- butter - 600 gms.
- Vanilla White Chocolate Chantilly
- powdered gelatin at 200 bloom - 9 gms.
- water for gelatin - 45 gms.
- heavy cream - 815 gms.
- white chocolate - 180 gms.
- vanilla bean - 1 ea.
- Apple Cider Caramel Jus
- sugar - 2000 gms.
- apple cider, no sugar added - as needed
- Poached Granny Smith Apples
- poaching liquid - as needed
- sugar - 1000 gms.
- butter - 1000 gms.
- water - 1000 gms.
- used vanilla pods - 4 ea.
- Crème Fraiche Sorbet
- water - 1400 gms.
- sugar - 800 gms.
- glucose atomise - 180 gms.
- ice cream stabilizer - 4.5 gms.
- sorbet stabilizer - 4.5 gms.
- fresh lemon juice - 150 gms.
- crème fraiche - 1000 gms.
Procedure for Reverse Puff Pastry
- Place the flours, salt in the mixing bowl with the dough hook attachment.
- Add the water, vinegar and melted butter (at room temperature) and mix 1-3 minutes scale into 1200 gms. piece round, then shape into a rectangle.
- Chill overnight.
- Combine the bread flour and the butter with the dough hook until smooth.
- Scale into 800 gms. portion and place between two pieces of parchment and form a rectangle. Chill overnight.
- Pull the 2nd mix and let temper until pliable. (Chef's note: You will need to work this with the rolling pin so the butter is completely flexible.)
- Place the 1st mix of dough in the center of the rectangle of the butter and close around the dough.
- Roll out and make a simple three fold. Turn and make a second three fold. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out and make a simple three fold, refrigerate for one hour, and do this for a total of five simple three folds. When this is completed, rest overnight.
- Roll out to approximately 2 mm. and let rest. Bake on a flat sheet pan, covered with paper and 2 flat sheet pans at 400°F until golden. Remove the sheet pans and brush with simple syrup and place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Repeat this several times until the puff pastry is caramelized.
- Cut into 7 cm. x 7 cm. squares.
Procedure for Vanilla White Chocolate Chantilly
- Hydrate the gelatin in the water.
- Heat the cream and the vanilla bean. Pour over the white chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Add the gelatin. Pass through a chinois.
- Chill overnight.
- Whip to soft peaks and fill a bag with a fine star tip.
Procedure for Apple Cider Caramel Jus
- Dry-caramelize the sugar. Add warm apple cider and let come back to a boil.
- Pour into a container and reserve an amount for sauce. The rest will be used with the poached apples.
Procedure for Poached Granny Smith Apples
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Peel, core and halve 8 granny smith apples. Place in the poaching liquid and cook until tender.
- Place in the apple cider caramel until needed.
- When needed for service, dice the apples and cook in the caramel jus until translucent.
Procedure for Crème Fraiche Sorbet
- Combine stabilizers with 10x its weight with sugar from the recipe.
- Mix water, lemon juice, sugar, glucose atomise and heat to 60°C.
- Mix in the stabilzers and heat to 85°C.
- Pass through a chinoise and chill for 4 hours minimum.
- Using and immersion blender, add the crème fraiche.
- Run in a batch freezer.
- Use the apple cider caramel for the sauce and place on the plate.
- Place a square of caramelized puff pastry on the plate and pipe the cream around the edge and a small amount in the center. Then place a generous amount in the center.
- Add a second square and repeat. Then top with the square of puff pastry.
- Place a small amount of toasted cake crumbs or nuts to hold the crème fraiche sorbet and place a quenelle of crème fraiche sorbet.