Turkey Dry Rub
Recipe courtesy of Eva Barrios, CEC, Executive Chef of Royal Oaks Country Club, Houston, Texas
Procedure for Rub:
- Mix all the ingredients together. Keep in an air tight container.
Procedure for Whole Turkeys:
- Place turkey in a dip dish pan. Get about 3 ounces in a small container. (This is to prevent cross-contamination with the entire dry rub mixture.
- Lightly coat the turkey with the dry rub. Do not oversaturate the turkey with the rub mixture.
- When the turkey is fully coated with the rub on the outside, insert ½ of an orange and the 3 cloves of garlic inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Cover the deep dish pan with the turkey with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator and let turkey marinate for 2 days.
- After two days, pull turkey out of the refrigerator. Transfer turkey on to a baking pan, preferable with a wire rack, if you do not have one, it is okay also. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil all over the turkey making sure it is evenly coated.
- Preheat oven at 340 to 350F. Roast whole turkey approximately one hour. It will vary based on the size of the bird. Temperature of the breast should reach an internal temperature of 165F and the thigh and leg should reach an internal temperature of 170 to 180F.
- When turkey has reached the temperature, careful pull out of the oven and place on a heat proof surface and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Turkey is now ready to serve.