Tuna with Puffed Rice and Everything Furikake
Recipe courtesy of Steve Boeger, Executive Chef, Hendersonville (N.C.) Country Club
- Ingredients for the Ahi Tuna:
- low-sodium soy sauce - 1/2 cup
- mirin - 2 Tbsps.
- small shallot - 1 ea., brunoise
- scallions - 2 stalks, fine cut
- garlic - 3 cloves, brunoise
- grated ginger - 1 tsp.
- sesame oil - 1 tsp.
- red pepper flakes - 1 tsp.
- siracha sauce - 1 tsp.
- sushi-grade tuna - 1 lb.
- avocado - 1/2 ea., reserve and add ½ juice of lime
- Ingredients for Everything Furikake:
- sesame seeds - 3 tsps.
- nori - 2 sheets
- salt - 1 Tbsp.
- sugar - 1 Tbsp.
- dried onion - 1 Tbsp.
- dried garlic - 1 tsp.
- poppy seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ingredients for Puffed Rice Cracker
- white rice - 1/2 cup
- water - 1.435 cups
- new fryer oil - as needed
- Ingredients for Green Oil:
- parsley leaves - 1 oz.
- basil leaves - 1 oz.
- neutral-tasting vegetable oil - 3/4 cup
- salt - to taste
Procedure for Ahi Tuna:
- Combine soy sauce, mirin, shallot, scallions, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and sriracha sauce in a medium bowl. Whisk well. Add tuna; stir gently to coat with marinade.
- Smash the avocado. Reserve.
Procedure for Everything Furikake:
- Using a grinder, gently grind the sesame seeds so they release their oil.
- Toast the sesame seeds on a frying pan over very low heat for 10 minutes. They should be golden and full of fragrance, but be careful not to burn them.
- Shred the nori sheets into smaller chunks. Mix shredded nori with the toasted sesame seeds, adding a little salt and sugar and the rest of the ingredients.
Procedure for Puffed Rice Cracker:
- Cook rice until tender and blend into a cream. Spread the rice cream into sheets around 1.5 mm thick. Bake for 1 hour at 215°F. Break rice sheets into segments and deep fry.
Procedure for Green Oil:
- Bring a pot of water to boil. The more water the better; the amount of water will help to not lose the heat or momentum when you add the ingredients.
- Prepare the ice bath. Fill the bowl with cold water and add the ice.
- Once the water is boiling, add herbs all at once. Stir well and cover with the lid. Cook for 15-20 seconds.
- Turn off the heat. Transfer the herbs from hot water with a skimmer into the ice bath. Stir well.
- Once the herbs are cooled completely and are cold, remove them from water and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- When the herbs are dry, put them into the measuring cup, add salt and oil of your choice.
- Mix with an immersion blender until fully incorporated. If you feel that the herb oil begins to heat up, this is a good signal that it is time to stop. If you continue mixing, the mixture will lose its vibrant green color because of heat.
- Line the sieve with cheesecloth and put it on a bowl.
- Pour the oil-herb mixture into the sieve and let gravity do its work. Do not force the oil through the cheesecloth, because the herb particle may drop into the final herb oil.
- Transfer green herb oil into the non-reactive container and cover it with lid. Use within a week.
- Use a 2¾-inch forming mold and place smashed avocado into the bottom of the mold on a chilled plate.
- Add marinated tuna and continue to moldm being careful not to release marinade onto the plate.
- Sprinkle Everything Furikake on top, while still in the mold.
- Remove mold carefully and add green oil to the bottom of the vessel
- Add the puffed rice cracker and serve.