True Aussie Lamb Kibbeh Nayyeh (Lebanese Lamb Tartare) with Smoked Sheep’s Milk Yogurt, Beet Tuile, Rice Wafer and Dehydrated Beet Powder
Recipe courtesy of Rhy Waddington, Executive Chef, Winged Foot Golf Club (Mamaroneck, N.Y.)
- Ingrients for Smoked Sheep's Milk Yogurt
- sheep's milk yogurt - 250 ml.
- lemon - 1 ea., zest and juice
- cumin powder - 1/8 tsp.
- coriander powder - 1/8 tsp.
- salt - pinch
- agar agar - 3.3 grams
- Ingredients for Beet Tuile:
- red beets diced - 250 grams
- beet juice - 500 ml.
- red wine - 250 ml.
- red wine vinegar - 50 ml.
- bay leaf - 1
- thyme - 1 sprig
- black peppercorns - 3
- kosher salt - 1/4 tsp.
- isomalt sugar - 30 grams
- Ingredients for Beet Gel:
- beet puree - 100 gr.
- extra virgin olive oil - 100 ml.
- red wine vinegar - 25 ml.
- sea salt - pinch
- xanthan gum powder - 2 grs.
- Ingredients for Beet Powder
- red beet - 1 large
- Ingredients for Rice Wafer:
- rice paper spring roll wrap - 1 ea.
- sea salt - as needed
- Ingredients for garnish:
- borage flowers - 10 ea.
- radish blossoms - 10 ea.
- Ingredients for Lamb Tartare:
- grass fed Australian lamb - 200 gr.
- lamb top sirloin - 100 gr., hand-minced
- shallots - 5 gr., diced
- chives - 5 gr., thinly sliced
- scallions - 5 gr., thinly sliced
- tarragon - 5 gr., chopped
- lemon and orange zest - 5 gr.
- olive oil - 25 ml.
- pickled radish - 5 gr., (Chef's Note: Can substitute for diced fresh breakfast radish)
- cumin - pinch
- sea salt - to taste
- lemon juice - squeeze
Procedure for Smoked Sheep's Milk Yogurt:
- Mix sheep’s milk yogurt, lemon zest, cumin, and coriander in a bowl.
- Warm lemon juice and dissolve agar agar mix back into yogurt mix.
- Line a small 1/3 sheet pan with plastic and pour yogurt mix until its 2.5 ml thick, cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
Procedure for Beet Tuile:
- Cook the diced red beets with the beet juice, red wine, vinegar salt and aromatics.
- Cook until the beets are fork tender, Strain the beets through a chinois, reserving the cooking liquid. Reduce the cooking liquid by 1⁄2.
- Place the cooked beets into a Paco Jet beacon and add the reduced cooking liquid. Disregard the aromatics.
- Freeze overnight.
- Paco the beets until smooth, pass through a fine tamis. You should have 350 grams of smooth beet puree.
- Weigh 250 grams of beet puree and set aside the extra 100 grams for the beet gel.
- Warm the 250 grams of beet puree and 30 grams of isomalt until the sugar has dissolved.
- Spread the beet mix onto a silpat lined sheet tray, the mix should be no more than 1.5 ml thick. Cook in a 90°C oven (195° F) for 1.5 hours or until set and crisp.
Procedure for Beet Gel:
- Add beet puree, red wine vinegar and xanthan gum to a vita mix, on medium speed slowly add olive oil finish with salt and check seasoning. The gel can be adjusted with a little warm water if too thick.
- Pour into small squeezy bottle.
Procedure for Beet Powder:
- Shave red beet on slicer or mandolin 1 millimeter thick. Place in a dehydrator and dehydrate until crispy. Place dried beet chips into a coffee grinder and grind until powder consistency.
Procedure for Rice Wafer:
- Cook for 20 seconds in deep fryer set at 400f, place on paper towel to soak up any oil, season with sea salt while still hot.
Procedure for Lamb Tartare:
- Combine ingredients. Season to taste.