Recipe courtesy of Laura Herman, Pastry Chef, Shoreacres (Lake Bluff, Ill.)
- Ingredients for the Coconut Dacquoise
- confectionary sugar - 360 gms.
- desiccated coconut - 324 gms.
- egg white - 360 gms.
- granulated sugar - 120 gms.
- salt - 2 gms.
- Ingredients for the Pineapple Compote
- granulated sugar - 12 oz.
- pineapple - 1 ea., cubed
- pineapple juice - 125 gms.
- vanilla bean - 1/2 ea.
- star anise - 1 ea.
- Ingredients for the Italian Meringue
- egg white - 185 gms.
- cream of tartar - pinch
- salt - 1 gms.
- granulated sugar - 300 gms.
- glucose - 50 gms.
- water - 80 gms.
- Ingredients for the Passion Fruit Mousse
- 0% fat milk powder - 23.7 gms.
- whole milk - 80 gms.
- passion fruit purée - 279.7 gms.
- egg yolk - 123.5 gms.
- granulated sugar - 48 gms.
- Italian meringue - 183.7 gms.
- whipped cream - 491.5 gms.
- Ingredients for the Coconut Rice Pudding
- whole milk - 8 fl. oz.
- heavy cream - 8 fl. oz
- coconut milk - 8 fl. oz.
- jasmine rice - 92.5 gms.
- granulated sugar - 100 gms.
- kosher salt - pinch
Procedure for the Coconut Dacquoise
- Mix the sifted confectionary sugar with the coconut.
- Whip the egg whites with the sugar and salt to soft peak stage.
- Fold the coconut and confectionary sugar mixture into the egg whites.
- Spread the dacquoise mixture on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the dacquoise at 425° F. convection oven for 7-10 min.
- Once cooled, cut into desired shape and size.
Procedure for the Pineapple Compote
- In a medium heavy-bottom pot, add water to cover the bottom of the pot.
- Add sugar to pot and turn on high until a deep golden brown is reached.
- Add pineapple juice to pot and turn off of the heat. Stir in pineapple, vanilla and star anise and let cool. Transfer to a container to store until needed.
Procedure for the Italian Meringue
- Whisk the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar at slow speed.
- Combine the water, glucose and sugar, and boil it to 257° F.
- Pour the hot syrup over the egg whites and whisk at high speed for a short time, then turn the speed down and whisk on slow until the meringue is cold. There will be leftover meringue from this recipe.
Procedure for the Passion Fruit Mousse
- Combine the milk powder, whole milk and passion fruit puree in a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine with egg yolks and sugar until thick over a bain-marie at 180° F.
- Strain the mixture, add the bloomed gelatin and cool down the mixture.
- Fold the Italian meringue into the passion fruit mixture. Once fully combined fold in the whipped cream. At this point you can use for any desired mold.
Procedure for the Coconut Rice Pudding
- In a heavy-bottom pot, combine all of the ingredients. Place over medium heat until it starts to simmer.
- Cover the pot with foil, and turn down heat to a soft simmer. Check after 10 minutes and stir. Cover again and cook until rice is translucent.
- Place in a container and cover with plastic wrap directly on top of rice. Keep in cooler until needed.
- In desired mold, pipe in some of the mousse leaving space to sprinkle in strained pineapple pieces and the coconut dacquoise. Add passion fruit mousse to fill in any gaps to the top. Freeze molds.
- Once frozen, you can glaze or use a cocoa butter spray to give a finished look.
- Using a ring mold the same size as the mousse, place a portion of the cooled rice pudding pressing down to create a base layer, and remove the ring.
- Set the mousse on top of rice pudding and garnish with roasted pineapple, a pineapple chip, white chocolate soil and micro greens.