- Yield: 4 servings
“The Flavors of Pot Roast”: Mushroom-wrapped tenderloin, braised short rib, potato croquette, carrot two ways, pearl onion, tomato jam and celery leaf
Recipe courtesy of John Michael Lynch, Executive Chef, Druid Hills Golf Club, Atlanta, Ga.
- For Braised Short Rib
- boneless short rib - 2 lbs.
- mirepoix - 4 ozs.
- tomato paste - 1 oz.
- red wine - 1 cup
- veal stock - 1 qt.
- For Mushroom-Wrapped Tenderloin
- tenderloin - 2lbs., cleaned
- chuck - 8 ozs.
- fat back - 3 ozs.
- thyme leaves - 1 tsp.
- parsley - 2 tsps.
- morel mushrooms - 4 dried, rehydrated
- crimini mushrooms - 4 ozs., cleaned
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- For Potato Croquette
- russet potatoes - 1 lb., cooked until tender then riced
- all purpose flour - 1/4 cup
- cornstarch - 1/4 cup
- parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup, finely grated
- salt - 1 Tbsp.
- all purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- 2 eggs - beaten
- panko bread crumbs - 1 cup
- For Carrots Two Ways
- carrots - 8, tourneé cut, trim reserved
- sachet - see ingredients below
- chicken stock - 4 ozs.
- parsley - 1 tsp., chopped
- carrot juice - 1 cup
- butter - 1 oz.
- For Sachet
- bay leaves - 2
- thyme sprigs - 5
- parsley stems - 6
- peppercorns - 3
- Tomato Jam
- beefsteak tomatoes - 2, peeled, seeded, chopped
- brown sugar - 2 ozs.
- apple cider vinegar - 2 ozs.
- For Garnish
- pearl onions - 12, roasted
- oyster mushrooms - 2 heads, roasted and split into 16 pieces
- sauce - from braising liquid
- celery leaves - 12
For Braised Short Rib
- Use the standard braising method for the short ribs. Braise until fork tender. Chill in their braising liquid.
- Loosen the liquid from the ribs and reduce to sauce consistency.
- Portion the ribs into 2-oz. cubes. Place them in a little stock to reheat.
For Mushroom-Wrapped Tenderloin
- Make a farce by grinding together chuck, fat back, thyme and parsley leaves, morel mushrooms and salt and pepper. Store on ice until use.
- Spread a thin layer of the farce down on plastic wrap. Roll the farce around the cleaned tenderloin.
- Make a mat of crimini mushrooms by slicing them on a mandolin at 1/16th inch and laying them out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Overlap the mushrooms heavily, because they will shrink as they are cooked.
- Place the wrapped tenderloin onto the mushroom mat. Use the plastic to wrap it around the tenderloin. Tie the ends with butcher twine and vacuum-seal to remove all the air.
- Cook the roulade sous vide at 131º F. for two hours.
- Remove roulade from plastic and blot dry with paper towels. Sear outside over medium heat until all sides are brown. Allow to rest for five minutes.
- Cut roulade into 3-oz. portions.
For Potato Croquette
- Place hot riced potatoes on a sheet tray in a flat layer and cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Once the riced potatoes are chilled, transfer to a mixing bowl. Create a “hole” in the center of the potatoes. Crack the egg into the center and incorporate using a fork.
- Add 1/4 cup flour and cornstarch and continue to incorporate with a fork. Add the parmesan.
- Bring mixture together to create a dough. Knead dough just until fully incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Roll into 1/8-oz. spheres.
- Using the remaining egg, 1/2 cup flour and panko crumbs, bread the spheres.
- Fry the croquettes in 325-degree oil until golden brown and hot in the center.
For Carrots Two Ways
- For the sachet, fold a cheesecloth in half, covering the bay leaves, thyme, parsley and peppercorn, to form a sachet. Tie the packet together, making sure you don't have any open gaps at the top.
- Poach the tourneé-cut carrot in the stock with the sachet until fork tender. Toss in butter and parsley for service.
- Simmer the carrot trim in the carrot juice until falling apart. Strain off excess liquid and puree in a blender until smooth. Adjust flavor and consistency with liquid and butter. Strain through a chinois.
For Tomato Jam
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot and cook down slowly until jam consistency.
- Place a short rib off-center on an oval plate. Place the portioned tenderloin to the left of the short rib at a 45-degree angle. Spoon a tablespoon of carrot puree on each side of the tenderloin and short rib.
- Lean the tourneé carrots on the tenderloin and short rib, slightly touching the carrot puree. Arrange the potato cakes, roasted onions and oyster mushrooms around the perimeter of the main items.
- Ladle 1.5 oz. of sauce over the short rib and place a quenelle of tomato jam on top. Garnish the plate with celery leaves.