- Yield: 15 4-oz. rolls
Sweet Potato Rolls
Recipe courtesy of John Sauchelli, Executive Pastry Chef, Fiddler’s Elbow, Bedminster, N.J.
- Wash and wrap sweet potato in foil and place in a 325° F oven (high fan) for about 2 hours. Remove from oven and cool down. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and weigh out enough pulp for recipe.
- Dissolve yeast in warm liquids. Set aside to activate. Next, mix flours, sugar, salt, molasses, yolks, cooked sweet potato pulp in mixer bowl with dough hook. Add in yeast mixture until combined, then soft butter in three stages.
- Mix on speed 2 until starts to come off side of bowl, about 10 mins. If still too sticky, add a little more bread flour and work it in.
- Remove from mixer bowl and place in clean, oiled bowl. Oil top of dough and let rise in a warm spot until double in size. (Alternatively, you may leave in the fridge overnight at this point and cold bulk ferment until you are ready to continue the following day.)
- After proofing, divide the dough into 4 oz. portions. Spray and lightly flour a sheet pan. Roll dough portions into balls and place on the pan 3x5 to allow room for next rise.
- Preheat oven to 350° convection (low fan). Spray, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place until double in size about 30-40 mins. (Alternatively, if you have a proofing box, place inside at about 80°. No need to cover.)
- After second rise, egg wash the tops, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and bake for approximately 12-15 mins, rotating once halfway through the cooking process. Should be medium brown on top when finished.