Stuffed Sweet Onion with Soubise
Recipe courtesy of William B. Ballard, CEC, AAC, Interim Executive Chef, Club Advisors, Bend, Oregon.
- sweet onions - 4 large
- chicken broth - 1/2 cup
- butter, clarified - 1 oz.
- andouille sausage - 2 ozs., finely diced
- baguettes - 3 sliced, cubed and toasted
- cheddar cheese - 1-1/4 cups (divided, shredded)
- chives - 2 Tbsps., chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- whole chives - 12 each, cut in half
- onion microgreens - as needed
- chive blossoms - 4 each
- For Soubise
- chopped sweet onions - 4 ozs.
- butter, unsalted - 1/2 oz.
- velouté sauce - 6 ozs.
- heavy cream - 2 ozs.
- For Chive Vinaigrette
- chives - 1 oz., cut into thirds
- green onions - 1/2 bunch, trimmed, quartered
- rice wine vinegar - 1/8 cup
- olive oil - 1/8 cup
- Peel and remove top quarter from each onion. Hollow out center of each onion, leaving at least 1/4 to 1/2-inch outer shell. Reserve onion pieces and chop for later use.
- Place onions cored side up in a baking pan. Pour broth in bottom of pan. Cover pan with foil. Bake onions until tender, about 25- 30 minutes, in 425°F oven.
- While onions are roasting, in a medium skillet, cook chopped onions over medium heat add butter and cook onions until golden brown and tender; add sausage and heat through. Remove from heat; add baguette cubes, 1 cup cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper and combine.
- When roasted onions are tender remove from pan and drain the chicken broth, return onions to pan, cored side up. Fill hollowed onions with onion-sausage mixture and pack tightly. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- For Soubise: In medium pan, sauté onion in butter until softened. Add velouté sauce and heavy cream and heat through. Remove sauce from pan and puree in food processor. Reserve warm.
- For Chive Vinaigrette: In a food processor, combine chives, green onions, vinegar and oil. Blend until smooth. Place in squirt bottle.
- To assemble: Place each stuffed sweet onion between the center of plate and 10 o’clock position. Pool Soubise around the onion, pooling more on bottom. Drizzle drops of the Chive Vinaigrette in the Soubise. Reserve additional Chive Vinaigrette for future use. Stick three chives in the backside of onion. Garnish with micro onions and a chive blossom.