Strawberry Key Lime Pie
Recipe courtesy of Richard Lasher, Pastry Chef, and Marvin Herrera, Executive Chef, Augusta (Ga.) Country Club
- Graham cracker crust
- graham cracker crumbs - 2 cups
- granulated sugar - 1/3 cup
- butter - 1/2 cup, melted
- For Filling
- lime zest - 1 Tbsp., grated
- egg yolks - 4 ea.
- sweetened condensed milk - 14 ozs.
- key lime juice - 1/2 cup
- strawberry extract - 2 tsp.
- red food color - 3 drops
- For Whipped Topping
- heavy cream - 1 1/2 cups
- powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar. Add melted butter and mix until evenly moistened. Press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate and pack tightly using back of a measuring cup or hand. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- For the filling whisk the lime zest and egg yolks together in a medium bowl for two minutes. Add the condensed milk and whisk together. Whisk in the key lime juice, extract, and food color until evenly combined. Pour into cooled pie crust. Bake at 350°F until center is set yet still wiggly when jiggled (15 to 18 minutes). Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- For the whipped cream, using an electric mixer whip the cream on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar slowly while whipping and whip until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla and mix in.
- Pipe or spread the whipped cream evenly over the pie.
Optional garnish: toasted coconut.