Strawberries and Cream
Recipe courtesy of Bogan Danila, former Culinary Director of Broken Sound Club (Boca Raton, Fla.)
- Vanilla Custard:
- milk - 1500 ml.
- cream - 1500 ml.
- vanilla beans - 6 ea., split
- egg yolks - 30 ea.
- sugar - 450 gms.
- gelatin - 12 sheets
- Strawberry Consommé:
- IQF frozen strawberries and trimmings - 1 bag
- sugar - 100 gms.
- Strawberry Gel:
- strawberry consommé - 900 gms.
- gelatin - 5 leaves
- Olive Oil Cake (makes 3 GN 1/1 flat):
- all-purpose flour 580 - 435 gms.
- baking powder - 18 gms.
- salt - 12 gms.
- eggs - 300 gms..
- sugar - 900 gms.
- milk - 690 ml.
- olive oil - 480 gms.
Procedure for Vanilla Custard:
- Heat milk, cream and vanilla bean and bring to a boil.
- Temper yolks and sugar.
- Cook on the heat for an additional 10 seconds and remove from the heat right away.
- Add bloomed gelatin, strain, and chill.
Procedure for Strawberry Consomme:
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a big bowl and wrap them well in plastic.
- Place over a double boiler until all the juices are released from the strawberries and pass through a coffee filter.
Procedure for Strawberry Gel:
- Heat a small amount of the consommé and bring to a boil.
- Add bloomed gelatin and strain the hot mixture into the rest of the cold consommé.
Procedure for Olive Oil Cake (makes 3 GN 1/1 flat):
- Combine all-purpose flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Whip eggs with salt and sugar until doubled in size. Alternately, add dry with milk, ending with dry.
- Stream in olive oil and split equally between 3 trays.
- Cook at 165°C for 22 minutes, turning the trays halfway. (Fan speed 4, humidity 60%, roast red.)
- Cut a ring of the olive oil cake.
- Cut strawberries with lime syrup and zest.
- Smash frozen blackberries.
- Pick micro mint and cilantro.
- Quenelle strawberry sorbet.