Sous-Vide Herb Butter Leeks
Recipe courtesy of Josh Becker, Executive Chef, Cherry Creek Country Club, Denver, Colo.
- Trim green tops and roots from leeks. Cut leeks on a bias and then a straight cut. (Note: We want the leeks to stand on the plate, with the bias showing.)
- Wash cut leeks thoroughly under cold running water, to make sure no dirt is hiding between the layers.
- Once clean, place the leeks in a vacuum bag until one-half full. Add 1 cut shallot, 3 cloves garlic, 2 to 3 sprigs thyme, 2 tbsp. garlic oil, 1/4 tsp. lemon zest, 2 ozs. of butter and 1 tsp. Maldon salt. Vacuum-seal and continue with remaining leeks.
- Once the bags are sealed and water-bath temperature reaches 84º C., place the leeks in the water bath and cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the bags and place them in an ice-water bath to stop cooking.
- Open the bags, remove the leeks and sear in a smoking pan to order.
Note: Leeks are pictured with elk tenderloin.