Recipe courtesy of Julie Eslinger, Pastry Chef, The Country Club at Castle Pines (Castle Rock, Colo.)
- Ingredients for the Cookies
- sugar - 200 gms.
- powdered sugar - 125 gms.
- invert sugar - 45 gms.
- shortening - 185 gms.
- butter - 215 gms., soft
- vanilla - 10 gms.
- egg - 50 gms.
- cake flour - 600 gms.
- baking powder - 4 gms.
- baking soda - 6 gms.
- salt - 2 gms.
- cream of tartar - 4 gms.
- Ingredients for the Topping
- sugar - 500 gms.
- cinnamon - 10 g (or more if preferred)
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- Combine the sugars, butter and shortening together in a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment and cream together on medium speed, scraping the bowl and paddle as necessary.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix on low until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Make the topping by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl.
- Scoop the dough and coat completely in the cinnamon sugar. Flatten the dough slightly before baking at 325°F, low fan, for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- When the cookies have cooled, coat them again in a fresh batch of cinnamon sugar.