Seared Scallops Over Watermelon Gazpacho with Watermelon Feta Salad and Balsamic Reduction
Recipe courtesy of Brandon Pomerson, Executive Sous Chef, Elkridge Club (Baltimore, Md.)
- For Watermelon Gazpacho
- red onion - 4 ea., chopped
- red bell peppers - 4 ea., chopped
- cucumbers - 4 ea., diced
- jalapeño - 2 ea., seeded and diced
- tomatoes - 12 cups, seeded and chopped
- red seedless watermelon - 2 ea., diced
- cilantro - 2 bunches
- kosher salt - 4 Tbsps.
- Balsamic vinegar - as needed
- For Watermelon and Feta Salad
- red seedless watermelon - 1 ea., small dice and compressed
- English cucumber - 2 ea., small dice
- red onion - 2 ea., small dice
- feta cheese - 2 cups
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- fresh mint - 6 sprigs
- U-10 Scallops - 5 ea.
- For Watermelon Gazpacho: Puree all ingredients in batches in a blender until smooth. Adjust Seasonings to taste. Store in an air tight container and labeled in walk-in. Yields approximately 3 gallons (Note: I do not add bread due to the high gluten allergies in the club.)
- For Watermelon and Feta Salad: Place diced watermelon in vacuum seal bags with sprigs of mint leaves and compress on the hardest setting on cryovac machine. This enhances the color of the watermelon to a deeper red color. In a large size mixing bowl, mix all salad ingredients together then add salt and pepper to taste.
- For the balsamic reduction simply reduce balsamic vinegar down to a syrup consistency then let cool and place in squeeze bottle for garnish later.
- Sear 5 U-10 scallops one side to get a golden-brown color finish in oven for 4 min approx. pull out and baste with butter. Let rest.
- Ladle 6 oz. of Watermelon Gazpacho in bowl.
- Place Watermelon Feta Salad down the one side of the bowl riding the rim.
- Place the scallops down the middle near the salad.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction in the open area of the bowl.
- Finish the salad my placing mint leaves in open area of the salad.