- Yield: 5 servings
Sausage and Fennel Stuffing
Recipe courtesy of Anthony Castaldo, General Manager/COO, Metedeconk National Golf Club, Jackson, N.J.
- onions - 1 cup, chopped
- fennel - 1 cup, chopped
- garlic cloves - 4
- parsley - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- thyme - 1 tsp., chopped
- chives - 1 tsp., chopped
- half and half - 2 cups
- eggs - 3, beaten
- bread - 5 cups, cubed and dried
- sweet or hot italian sausage - 1 lb., loose
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- butter - for cooking vegetables
- In a heavy-bottom pan, brown sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Use heavy spoon to break the meat apart as it browns, about 15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain excess fat and let cool.
- In sauté pan, sweat onions, garlic and fennel in butter. Cook over low heat until soft and translucent (about 10 minutes). Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix half-and-half and eggs thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine bread, sausage, vegetable mixture, herbs, salt and pepper. Add egg mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Spray five oven-proof single-serve crocks or one large oven-proof dish with non-stick spray. Fill with stuffing mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350º F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook another five minutes, to brown top.