Russian Honey Cake With Sour Cream Filling, Lemon Honey Chantilly, Granola, Blueberry Coulis, Honey Opaline, Blueberry Sorbet, Isomolt Sugar Ring and Fondant Flower
Recipe courtesy of Wesly Jones, Pastry Apprentice, The Greenbrier (White Sulphur Springs, W.Va.)
- Russian Honey Cake
- honey - 450 gms.
- butter - 600 gms.
- sugar - 1,320 gms.
- baking soda - 28.8 gms.
- egg - 720 gms. (burr mix until homogeneous)
- all-purpose flour - 2400 gms., sifted
- fresh lemon juice - 28.3 gms.
- Sour Cream Filling
- sour cream - 2800 gms.
- heavy cream - 1600 gms.
- powdered sugar - 800 gms.
- Lemon and Honey Chantilly
- heavy cream - 400 gms.
- vanilla paste - 10 gms.
- mascarpone - 100 gms.
- xanthan gum - 1 gm.
- powder sugar - 10 gms.
- honey - 25 gms.
- lemon zest - 1 ea. (whole lemon)
- water - 50 gms.
- dark brown sugar - 150 gms.
- honey - 3 gms.
- oats - 200 gms.
- sliced almonds - 100 gms.
- cinnamon - 4 gms.
- salt - 2 gms.
- Blueberry Coulis
- blueberry purée - 250 gms. (after strained through a cheesecloth)
- neutral clear glaze - 62.5 gms.
- fresh lemon juice - 10 gms.
- Honey Opaline
- icing fondant - 280 gms.
- honey - 40 gms.
- mycryo - 3 gms. coco butter pistoles will work fine)
- gold powder - to dust
- Blueberry Sorbet
- blueberry purée - 1000 gms.
- water - 140 gms.
- sugar - 98 gms.
- dextrose - 138 gms.
- sorbet stabilizer - 3 gms.
- Isomalt Sugar Ring
- isomalt - 200 gms.
- water - 20 gms.
- golden yellow sugar color - to taste
- brown sugar color - to taste
- Fondant Flower
- fondant - 50 gms.
- icing fondant - to pipe dots
- purple emulsion gel - to taste
Procedure for Russian Honey Cake
- Place the honey, butter and sugar over a double broiler, and whisk until all melted.
- Reduce water bath to a simmer and let mixture infuse for an hour, mixing every 15 minutes.
- Once infused, place mixture in a stand mixer with a paddle, and mix on low speed until room-temperature.
- Separately whisk together the baking soda and lemon juice, and stream into the mixer.
- Stream in eggs slowly to avoid lumps.
- Add flour to mixture in thirds, scraping the bowl in between each third.
- Let the dough rest overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, prepare 8 sheet trays with pan spray then parchment paper.
- Sperate dough into 700-gm. portions.
- Sheet dough to 2 mm and place on a sheet trays.
- Dock dough before baking to avoid bubbles.
- Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cool, take 2 sheets and break them up and Robot-Coupe until you have graham cracker crumbs, then set aside.
- Take one sheet of cake and place on a cutting board, then spread a layer of sour cream filling, approximately the same thickness of the cake.
- Place another layer of cake and repeat 4 more times until you have 5 layers of cake and 5 layers of filling.
- Top the last layer with crumbs, until you can see no filling. (Chef's note: There will be extra crumbs.)
- Let cake rest overnight in cooler and cut next day 9 cm x 2 cm.
Procedure for Sour Cream Filling
- Whip powdered sugar and heavy cream on medium speed until soft peak forms.
- Once soft peak forms, reduce speed to low and add in sour cream.
- Keep in cooler while not in use.
Procedure for Honey and Lemon Chantilly
- Burr mix all ingredients.
- Whip until medium peak.
- Place in piping bag with a 864 french star tip.
- Keep in cooler when not in use.
Procedure for Granola
- Boil water, brown sugar, honey, salt and cinnamon until it boils.
- Take off heat and mix in oats and almonds until fully coated.
- Spread on a sheet tray with parchment.
- Bake at 250° F for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through to avoid large lumps.
- Once cool, Robot-Coupe until pea-sized chunks.
Procedure for Blueberry Coulis
- Burr mix all ingredients until smooth.
Procedure for Honey Opaline
- Cook icing fondant and honey until a very light caramel.
- Take off the heat and mix in the Mycryo until fully incorporated.
- Spread on a Silpat and let cool to room-temperature.
- Once cool, break into pieces and Robot-Coupe until a fine powder.
- On a Silpat, sift powder into a 4.5-cm ring cutter, dusting off extra from the sides.
- Bake at 350° F for 3 minutes or until all melted together.
- Once cool, unmold, placing on 6 cm x 6 cm square of parchment.
- Blow a small amount of golden powder from one side to highlight the rim.
- Stack 10 high in a container, wrap well, and keep in a dry area.
Procedure for Blueberry Sorbet
- Bring water to 45° C in a pot.
- Whisk in sugar, dextrose and stabilizer.
- Whisk quickly until 85° C.
- Add mixture into blueberry purée.
- Separate into 2 Pacojet containers.
- Once frozen, spin sorbet in Pacojet machine.
Procedure for Isomalt Sugar Ring
- Cook isomalt and water until 130° C.
- Add the color until a deep caramel color, then cook until 160° C.
- Pour on Silpat, constantly pushing the edges of the isomalt in until able to pick it up. (Chef's note: It will be hot, so I recommend wearing a few pairs of latex gloves.)
- Once able to handle, satinize until a cool enough to pull and it keeps its shine.
- Pull a thin wire and loop it around 9 cm PVC tube.
- Let cool, and cut loop that over-crosses about 3 cm.
- Place each one in a separate container so they don't touch.
- Wrap well and store in a dry area.
Procedure for Fondant Flower
- Knead together fondant and purple emulsion gel until a soft lavender color.
- Dust with cornstarch whenever needed, sheet to 1 mm.
- Use flower fondant cutter and punch out flower in a cupped hand to fold in edges.
- Pipe fondant icing in center and let dry.