- Yield: 4 servings
Roasted Maple Leaf Farms Duck with Fermented Blackberry-Maple Glace
Recipe courtesy of Richard Brumm, CEC, CCA, Director of Culinary Operations with Bonita Bay Club, Bonita Springs, Fla.
- Ingredients for lacto-fermented blackberries:
- blackberries - 1000 gr.
- kosher salt - 20 gr.
- Ingredients for brine:
- water - 250 ml.
- ice - 250 gr.
- kosher salt - 40 gr.
- honey - 20 ml.
- maple syrup - 20 ml.
- cinnamon stick - 1 ea.
- pickling spice - 5 gr.
- juniper berry - 2 gr.
- coriander - 1 gr.
- black peppercorn - 1 gr.
- Ingredients for duck:
- Maple Leaf Farms Duck - 2 ea.
- orange - 2 ea., quartered
- garlic cloves - 2 ea., crushed
- thyme - 2 sprigs
- sage - 2 bunches
- salt - to taste
- black pepper - to taste, ground fresh
- coriander - to taste, ground
- nutmeg - to taste, ground fresh
- Ingredients for sauce:
- shallot - 1 ea., sliced
- cinnamon stick - 1/2 ea.
- star anise - 4 ea.
- black peppercorns - 10 ea.
- green cardamom - 2 pods, crushed
- mace - pinch
- lacto-fermented blackberry - 100 gr.
- orange juice - 100 gr.
- maple syrup - 60 gr.
- glace de canard - 450 gr.
- lemon zest - 1 ea.
- kosher salt - to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground - to taste
- Plugra butter - 120 gr., unsalted
- Ingredients for plate:
- orange supremes - 20 ea.
- blackberries - 10 ea.
- chervil - as needed
Procedure For Fermented Blackberries:
(Note: This recipe will make extra product. Try using the juice for the best blackberry maple syrup.)
- Combine blackberries and salt in cryovac bag.
- Vacuum seal as close to the top as possible.
- Ferment 5 days @ 72-75˚F.
- Strain, reserve berries and juice separately.
- Use within 2 days or freeze for future use.
Procedure For Duck Brine:
- Make neat sachet out of spices.
- Combine water, honey, maple syrup, salt and sachet.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute, skim scum.
- Remove from stove and add ice. Make sure brine is completely cool before using.
- Inject duck with brine equaling 10% of weight.
- Rest duck uncovered for 48 hours on wire rack.
Procedure For Duck:
- French duck wings, reserving wings and necks for stock.
- Remove neck skin, reserve.
- Season interior of ducks with spices.
- Stuff each duck with 1 orange, 1 garlic clove, 1 sprig of thyme and 1 bunch of sage.
- Truss ducks.
- Season exterior of ducks with spices.
- Place each duck on a wire rack-lined sheet pan. Use a piece of neck skin under each duck.
- Using a meat fork, pierce duck skin liberally.
- Bake in combi-oven at 300˚F with 100% humidity and low fan for 3 hours.
- Increase heat to 400˚F with 0% humidity and regular fan. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest 1 hour.
- Carefully remove spine and split ducks. Gently remove remaining bones except wing and leg. Chill.
Procedure For Sauce:
- Sauté shallot with spices until fragrant.
- Add blackberries and cook until they burst, pressing with rubber spatula for extraction.
- Deglaze with port, reduce to sec.
- Add juices and syrup; reduce by half.
- Add glace. Simmer 15 minutes, skimming as necessary.
- Add zest.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Strain through chinoise, pressing on solids.
- Mount with butter.
Procedure For Plate:
- Reheat duck for 10 minutes in a 500˚ F convection oven until hot and crispy.
- Serve on a heated staub platter garnished with blackberries, orange supremes and chervil.
- Pour a small amount of sauce at the table. Reserving additional sauce for the dining experience.