Roasted Half-Chicken With Creamy Grits, Winter Vegetables, Toasted Seeds and Romesco
Recipe courtesy of David Boswell, Executive Chef, Fort Wayne Country Club (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
- Chicken Marinade
- Calabrian chili paste - 2 cups
- roasted red bell peppers - 2 cups
- ground mustard - 1 tsp.
- white pepper - 1 tsp.
- onion powder - 1 tsp.
- kosher salt - 1 tsp.
- black pepper - 1/2 tsp.
- Creamy Grits
- polenta - 4 cups
- water - 16 cups
- white onion - 1 ea., small dice
- butter - 1/2 lbs.
- olive oil - 1/2 cup
- parmesan - 2 cups
- taleggio - 1/2 block
- Winter Vegetables
- butternut squash
- green beans
- red bell peppers - 6 ea., seeded and pith removed
- jalapeño - 1 ea., seeded and pith removed
- garlic - 6 cloves
- toasted Marcona almonds - 1/2 cup
- canned tomatoes - 12 oz., diced
- canola oil - 2 cups
Procedure for Chicken Marinade
- Combine all ingredients in a Vitamix and blend until smooth.
- Rub marinade on both sides of the chicken half. Marinate for 24 hours.
- Let chicken come to room temperature, then roast at 400° F until an internal temperature of 160° F. The carryover heat will take the chicken to 165° F.
Procedure for Creamy Grits
- In a heavy-bottom pot, add the butter, olive oil and onion.
- Sweat the onion and add the polenta. Cook the polenta in the fat until it has the aroma of popcorn. Heat your water during this process.
- Once the water has come to a boil, add it to the polenta and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer. Place a cartouche on top and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove the cartouche and add the cheese. Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Procedure for Romesco
- Heat the oil to 365° F and add the peppers, garlic and ciabatta.
- Toast everything golden brown and remove from oil.
- Purée all contents, adding the canned tomato until smooth.
- Season with salt and black pepper.