Roasted Elephant Garlic with Hot Chili Garlic Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Eric Floyd, Executive Chef, Washington Athletic Club, Seattle, Wash.
- Elephant Garlic - 1 bulb
- olive oil - 2 Tbsps.
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- buagette - 1 each, sliced thin and toasted
- scallions - for garnish
- For Chili Sauce Butter
- garlic - 2 heads
- Thai Bird Chili - 20 each
- shallots - 2 each
- white vinegar - 1/4 cup
- sugar - 1 Tbsp.
- sesame oil - 3 Tbsps.
- fish sauce - 2 tsp.
For Elephant Garlic
- Chop the top off of the Elephant Garlic
- Drizzle the exposed cloves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Loosely enclose in foil and place in the preheated oven. Depending on the size of the bulb it will take between 40 minutes and 1 hour to roast.
- Turn down the oven to 350°F and leave for an extra 30 mins to get a more caramelized flavor.
- Drizzle chili sauce on elephant garlic. Garnish with scallions and serve with toasts.
For Chili Sauce
- Peel the cloves of garlic and roast it lightly on a griddle with help of few drops of oil.
- Chop the Thai Bird Chili
- In a blender, blend the garlic, red peppers, salt, sugar, and vinegar to a fine paste
- Mince the shallots, saute gently
- Add shallots to paste as well as the fish sauce
- Blend Well