Riverence Farms Trout With Confit of Baby Potatoes, Meyer Dill Creme Fraiche, Dressed Greens With Arugula, Fennel and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Recipe courtesy of Matthew Blazey, Executive Chef, Camargo Club (Indian Hill, Ohio)
Procedure for Potatoes
- Place potatoes in a half pan and cover with a blended oil. Add garlic cloves, thyme and fresh bay leaves.
- Wrap tightly, and slowly poach for 30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes, let cool, then lightly smash. Reserve for service
Procedure for Trout
- Trim unnecessary pieces of trout (belly or tail), lay skin side up on a sheet tray.
- Refrigerate overnight, uncovered in an area where air is blowing over the trout. (Chef's note: This step allows excess moisture to leave the skin allowing for crispier finished product.)
Procedure for Dill Cream
- The night before, mix creme fraiche, champagne vinegar, lemon juice, zest and dill. Cover and allow flavors to blend overnight.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle the next day
Procedure for Arugula Fennel Salad
- The night before, shave fennel thin enough to become translucent.
- Do the same with a small amount of shallots.
Procedure for Service
- Place pre-smashed potatoes on flat top with clarified butter and allow to become crispy.
- While potatoes are cooking, place trout skin side down in a nonstick pan with clarified butter.
- Immediately press trout to combat curling, reduce heat to medium and cook roughly 5-6 minutes. Flip trout and cut heat (residual heat will finish the fish).
- Toss arugula, fennel and shallots with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Garnish on top of trout as shown.