Trout With Smoked Butter, White Asparagus, Belgian Endives, Egg Yolk Creme and Salsa Bianco Hollandaise
Recipe courtesy of Jos van Hengel, Executive Chef, The River Club Kansas City (Mo.)
- Salsa Bianco Base
- guajillo chiles - 2 ea., dried
- pasilla chiles - 2 ea., dried
- chile de arbol - 2 ea., dried and seeded
- chicken stock - 2 cups
- onion - 1 ea., halved and diced
- cumin - 1/2 Tbsp.
- garlic - 5 cloves, minced
- Mexican oregano - 1/4 tsp.
- achiote paste - 3 Tbsp.
- jalapeño - 2 ea., roasted on grill and skin peeled off
- limes - 2 ea., juiced
- orange - 1 ea., juiced
- For the Hollandaise
- salsa - 1 part
- egg yolk - 2 parts
- clarified butter - to taste
- White Asparagus
- salt - 1 part
- sugar - 2 parts
- butter - 0.5 part
- cloves - to taste
- bay leaves - to taste
- nutmeg - to taste
- cinnamon sticks - to taste
- white pepper - to taste
- butter glaze - to taste
- Egg Yolk Creme
- yolk - 250 gms.
- olive oil - 75 gms.
- salt - 8 gms.
- white asparagus - 5 ea.
- Belgian endive - 3 pieces
- micro bull's blood - to taste
- trout roe - to taste
Procedure for Salsa Bianco Base
- Dry toast all chiles in a smoking hot pan until fragrant, 1-3 minutes.
- Add chiles to a mixing bowl with chicken stock. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to an hour to let rehydrate.
- Add the following to a Vitamix or blender: 1 onion, halved and diced; 1/2 Tbsp. cumin; 5 cloves of garlic, minced; 1/4 tsp. Mexican oregano; 3 Tbsp. achiote paste; 2 jalapeños, roasted on grill and skin peeled off; 2 limes, juiced; 1 orange, juiced.
- Add all of the above and blend until smooth consistency.
- Add the Salsa Bianco base to the vegetable and herb mixture and purée until smooth.
- Pass through a fine mesh strainer and set aside to make hollandaise for later. Can be frozen for up to one month.
Procedure for the Hollandaise
- Whisk 1 part salsa and 2 parts egg yolk au bain-marie until cooked.
- Add clarified butter until you reached a mayonnaise consistency.
- Fill up an iSi canister with 2 cartridges and keep it luke warm.
Procedure for White Asparagus
- Peal, submerge in cold water.
- Add 1 part salt, 2 parts sugar, 0.5 part butter, cloves, bay leave, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks and white pepper.
- Bring up to a boil and take off the fire. Keep an eye on them until al dente. Finish with butter glaze.
Procedure for Trout
- Smoke butter.
- Clean rainbow trout filet. Keep the skin on.
- Sous vide together, 113° F for 10 minutes.
- Peal off the skin when you serve the trout out of the sous vide.
Procedure for Egg Yolk Creme
- Mix together 250 gms. yolk, 75 gms. olive oil, 8 gms. salt.
- Sous vide for 30 minutes on 162° F.
- Plate from piping bag.
- Start with 5 white asparagus.
- Put 3 pieces of Belgian endive in a star on top.
- Gently put your trout on top of the vegetables.
- Dress with bull's blood micro leaves and trout roe.
- Add Salsa Bianco hollandaise on pick-up.