Red Wine-Braised Pork Cheeks
Recipe courtesy of Andrea Griffith, Executive Chef, Pursell Farms, Sylacauga, Ala.
- pork cheeks - 5 lbs.
- red wine - 3 qts.
- veal stock - 2 qts.
- fresh tomatoes - 4 diced
- onions - 2 diced
- carrots - 2 diced
- celery ribs - 2 diced
- sprigs thyme - 5
- sprigs parsley - 5
- bay leaves - 2 each
- black peppercorns - 1 Tbsp.
- fresh tomato juice - 1 cup
- garam marsala - 3 Tbsps.
- baby squash - 1
- zucchini - 1
- garden cherry tomatoes - 3
- Rub cheeks in olive oil and dust with the garam masala.
- Sear cheeks in a large pan; remove when caramelized on all sides.
- In the same pan, place onions, carrots, celery and caramelize.
- Once caramelized, add tomatoes and tomato juice and cook for three minutes.
- Add the bay leaves and herbs.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and allow to cook for three minutes.
- Add stock.
- Place the cheeks in a hotel pan and pour vegetables and liquid over top; cover and cook at 325°F until tender (around three hours).
- Remove the cheeks from the pan and strain the liquid into a sauce pot.
- Reduce the sauce, skimming all fat that rises to the top.
- Once reduced by 3/4, pour on top of the cheeks.