- Yield: 4 portions
Red Sun Farms Chilled Tomato Consommé
Recipe courtesy of Jason Hall, CMC, formerly Executive Chef, Myers Park Country Club, Charlotte, N.C.
- In robot coupe, pulse tomato, tomato paste and chicken; transfer to a stainless bowl.
- Fold in basil stems and garlic.
- Place egg whites in a separate stainless bowl and whisk slightly.
- Fold egg whites into protein mix.
- Place all in a consommé pot and add cold stock.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently to prevent scorching—but do not stir once the raft begins to form.
- Puncture a hole in the middle of the raft, using a small ladle.
- Baste the raft as the consommé cooks.
- Simmer for about 1 ½ hours, or until the proper clarity, flavor and body has developed.
- Strain using a ladle through the hole, so as not to disturb the raft.
- Re-season and chill for service.
- Place garnish (baby tomatoes, julienne cucumber and crumbled chevre) in the bowl along one side.
- Pour chilled consommé into bowl tableside.