- Yield: 4 servings
Recipe courtesy of Russell Zampich, Executive Chef, Boulder Pointe Golf Club and Banquet Center, Oxford, Mich.
- ground chia seed - 1 Tbsp., or ground flax seed
- whole wheat flour** - 1 cup
- white unbleaded flour** - 1/2 cup
- cinnamon - 3 tsps.
- nutmeg - 1/2 tsp.
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp.
- kosher salt - 1/2 tsp.
- organic pumpkin - 16 ozs., canned
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup high quality
- pure Michigan maple syrup - 1 cup., or 1/2 cup agave nectar
- pure vanilla - 1 Tbsp.
- walnuts - 3/4 cup, pecans and almonds also work well
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients.
- Fold the wet ingredients and nuts into dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined or greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
** For gluten-free muffins, substitute 1/2 cup tapioca, 1 cup rice flour and 1 Tbsp. potato flour.