- Yield: 1 serving
Poached California Halibut
Recipe courtesy of Thayer Johnson, Executive Chef, Orinda Country Club, Orinda, Calif.
- For Daikon Fondant
- daikon - 3 one-inch-thick pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil - 2 Tbsps.
- salt and pepper - to taste
- For Baby Carrots
- multicolored baby carrots - 4, peeled
- Extra-virgin olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- fresh ginger - 3 slices
- For Halibut
- cold water - 2 cups
- kosher salt - 1 Tbsp.
- California halibut - 5 ozs.
- Extra-virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup
- fresh tumeric - 1 tsp., chopped
- saffron - 2 sprigs
- Daikon Fondant
- Prepared baby carrots
- For Daikon Fondant: Cut daikon slices with a 1 3/4-inch ring mold. Vacuum-seal with 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil. Cook at 185º F. for 1 1/2 hours. Remove daikon from the bag, season with salt and pepper, and sear on high heat until brown and crispy on both sides.
- For Baby Carrots: Vacuum-seal the carrots with the olive oil and ginger. Cook at 185º F. for 30 minutes. Remove the carrots from the bag, season them with salt and pepper, and cook them on high heat until nicely charred.
- For Halibut: Dissolve salt in water and put halibut in the brine for 30 minutes.
- Remove halibut, rinse and pat dry.
- Place olive oil, turmeric and saffron in a blender and blend on high speed for 1 minute. Push through a fine mesh strainer.
- Place halibut and infused olive oil in a vacuum-seal bag and seal on high pressure.
- Marinate overnight.
- Cook fish at 120º F. for 45 minutes.