Peach and Pork Belly Skewer
Recipe courtesy of Colby Newman, Executive Chef, Amarillo (Texas) Country Club.
- pork belly - 5 to 8 lbs., skin removed
- yellow onions - 4 each, large dice
- peaches - 16 each, large dice
- chicken stock - 3 gal, enough to cover the pork belly in the pan
- togarashi - to taste, (Japansese 7 spice blend)
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- vegetable oil - as needed
- For Peach Scallion Puree
- scallions - 1 bunch, white and greens, sliced thin
- ginger - 1 Tbsp., sliced thin
- garlic - 1 Tbsp., sliced thin
- shallot - 1 Tbsp., sliced thin
- sugar - 2 Tbsps.
- sesame oil - 2 1/2 Tbsps.
- peaches - 4 each, grilled then sliced
- vegetable oil - 2 Tbsps.
- For Grilled Scallion Chimichurri
- parsley - 1/4 cup, chopped
- oregano leaves - 2 Tbsps., chopped
- scallions - 1/4 cup, grilled
- red wine vinegar - 2 Tbsps.
- garlic cloves - 4 each
- yellow onion - 2 Tbsps., small dice
- crushed red pepper - 1 tsp.
- jalapeno - 1 each, deseeded, small dice
- olive oil - 2 cups
- To make the pork belly, if in one piece cut in half into two equal parts.
- Score the fat side of the belly.
- Season heavily with the salt and togarashi.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan over medium high heat and sear scored fat side down until golden brown and some of the fat has rendered. Working in batches if necessary.
- Remove the pork from the pan and place in large roasting pan. Leave the fat in the searing pan.
- In searing pan, add half of the peaches and all of the onions and sauté until soft.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Pour liquid mixture over pork belly in roasting pan, making sure pork belly is fully submerged.
- Cover roasting pan with foil and place in oven at 325 degrees.
- Braise pork belly for 4-6 hours, checking every hour. When belly is fork tender remove from oven and cool until able to handle.
- Remove pork from liquid and place on cooling rack.
- Strain the braising liquid and reduce to one quart, making sure not to burn the sauce. Reserve for brushing skewers to grill.
- After pork has cooled cut into 1×1 inch cubes. Do the same with the remaining peaches. Build skewers to your liking.
- Grill skewers brushing with reserved liquid until hot.
- To Plate: Place one dollop of peach scallion puree (recipe follows) and slide spoon through it. Put two skewers down and top with grilled scallion chimichurri (recipe follows).
For Peach Scallion Puree:
- Heat vegetable oil sauté pan until smoking hot. Add ginger, garlic, and shallot stirring constantly. Do not burn!
- Add scallion and saute stirring constantly.
- Add sesame oil and sugar. Remove from heat stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- After cooling slightly, put in blender with peaches and puree. Drizzling in .5 cup of olive oil if too thick.
For Grilled Scallion Chimichurri:
- Add all ingredients to a blender (except olive oil) and blend while slowly adding the olive oil until well blended.