- Yield: 2 servings
Pan-Seared North Carolina Trout with Sweet Potato Brussel Sprout Hash, Apple Butter and Micro Greens
Recipe courtesy of Ryan Cavanaugh, Executive Chef, Carmel Country Club, Charlotte, N.C.
- For mise en place
- N.C. trout filets - 4, 4-oz., cleaned with skin on
- bacon - 1/4 cup, chopped
- white onion - 1/2 each, diced
- sweet potaoes - 2 each, peeled, small diced and blanched (scraps of sweet potato saved to make puree)
- Brussel sprouts - 1/2 lb., ends cut off and roasted
- micro greens - to garnish
- apple butter - see recipe as needed
- For Apple Butter
- crisp and sweet apples - 3 lbs. (about 8 apples) such as Gala, Honeycrisp, and Braeburn, peeled
- apple cider - 1 cup
- sugar - 1 1/2 cups, divided
- ground cinnamon - 3/4 tsp.
- ground cloves - 1/4 tsp.
For mise en place:
- In a medium-hot pan, add bacon and onion and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the blanched sweet potatoes and Brussel sprouts and continue to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring in about 2 tbsp. of the sweet potato puree to thicken the hash; season with salt and pepper and hold to the side until plating.
- In a non-stick pan, on high heat, sear the seasoned trout, skin-side down, for 2 to 3 minutes. Leave skin-side down in the pan and finish in a 500-degree oven for another 3 to 4 minutes.
For Apple Butter:
- Cut apples into one-inch pieces. Bring apples, cider, and ½ cup sugar to a rolling boil in a Dutch oven, over high heat. • Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar, and boil 20 minutes or until apples are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated; stir every 5 minutes.
- Process cooked apples and cooking liquid in a blender until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in cinnamon, cloves, and remaining 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Smear apple butter across the plate in the opposite direction.
- Place one spoonful of hash on the plate.
- Place one filet of the trout, skin-side up, over the hash.
- Put another spoonful of hash on top of the trout; place the other filet on the top.
- Garnish with micro greens.