Recipe courtesy of Rich Hoffman, CEC, CCA, AAC, WCMC, CDM, CFPP, Executive Chef, Country Club of Maryland
- Ingredients for Mushroom Essence:
- assorted mushrooms stems - 3 lbs.
- veal stock - 1 gal.
- fresh thyme - 1/2 bunch
- bay leaf - 2 ea.
- Ingredient for Oxtail Consommé:
- ground lean veal - 2 lbs.
- egg whites - 15 ea.
- celery - 1 cup, brunoised
- onion - 1 cup, brunoised
- carrot - 1 cup, brunoised
- chopped mushroom stems - 1 lb.
- oxtail stock - 1 gal.
- lemon, juiced - 1 ea.
- mushroom essence - 1 gal.
- bay leaves - 2 ea.
- Ingredients for Oxtail Ravioli:
- clarified butter - as needed
- carrots - 4 ozs., brunoised
- onions - 8 ozs., brunoised
- celery - 4 ozs., brunoised
- shallot - 1 ozs., brunoised
- garlic - 1/2 tsp., minced
- tomato paste - 1 ozs.
- red wine - 2 ozs.
- oxtail meat - 2 lbs., cooked, cooled, pulled and chopped fine
- sachet (thyme, bay leaf, parsley stems, peppercorns, tarragon) - 1 ea.
- oxtail stock - 1 gal.
- salt and pepper - as needed
- Ingredients For the Pasta Dough:
- semolina - 12 ozs.
- all-purpose flour - 12 ozs.
- olive oil - 2 Tbsps.
- eggs - 6 ea.
- salt - pinch
- pepper - pinch
- Ingredients for presentation:
Procedure for Mushroom Essence:
- Combine the above ingredients together and steep for four hours over very low heat. The liquid should reduce by half and be enriched with mushroom flavor.
- Once the consistency and flavor have been achieved remove from the heat and strain through chinois. Cool.
Procedure for Oxtail Consommé:
- Mix the protein, egg whites, and brunoised vegetables together until fully incorporated.
- Pour the raft mixture in the combined liquids and place on stove. Heat the liquids and consistently stir the raft into the liquids so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the raft develops on the top of the stocks, work a hole into the middle of the raft to allow the consommé to breath.
- Simmer the consommé for 45 minutes. Strain the consommé through a china cap and coffee filter.
Procedure for filling:
- In a saucepot, warm the clarified butter.
- Add the mirepoix, garlic, shallots, and pin-cage with the tomato paste and the wine.
- Add the chopped oxtail meat.
- Add the sachet and the stock.
- Bring the stock to a simmer and cook until tender.
- Pulse in Robot Coupe to make a fine filling.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Procedure for pasta dough:
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients separately.
- Combine the dry and wet mixtures.
- Knead until combined.
- Cryovac and rest for hydration.
- Arrange the warmed vegetables and pasta in the center of a warm bowl.
- Pour hot soup in and serve, or serve broth on side and pour tableside.