Okra Fritters with Housemade Pepper Jelly
Recipe courtesy of Billy Kistler, Executive Chef, Reunion Golf & Country Club, Madison, Miss.
- all-purpose flour - 1 cup
- okra - 4 cups
- onion - 1 cup, fine dice
- eggs - 2 ea.
- buttermilk - 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper - to taste
- housemade pepper jelly - as needed
- For Pepper Jelly
- red bell pepper - 1/2 cup, fine dice
- green bell pepper - 1/2 cup, fine dice
- jalapeno - 1/4 cup, seeds and ribs removed, fine dice
- sugar - 2 cups
- corn syrup - 1 cup
- apple cider vinegar - 3/4 cup
- poppy seeds - 3 Tbsps.
Procedure for pepper jelly:
- Place all ingredients except poppyseeds in a saucepan, cook for 5 minutes. Put aside to cool.
- Add poppyseeds.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Chop okra.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix eggs, onion and buttermilk. Combine dry and wet ingredients.
- Add chopped okra and check seasoning.
- Cook in oil on stovetop.
- Garnish with pepper jelly and fine slice of scallions.