Nubb’s Maine Lobster Roll with Fennel-Citrus Vinaigrette
Recipe courtesy of Rick Shell, Executive Chef of Cliff House Maine resort, Cape Neddick, Maine.
- 1.5 lb Maine Lobsters - 4
- Fresh Lemon Juice - 3 Tbsps.
- lemon zest - 1 tsp.
- honey - 2 Tbsps.
- EVOO - 1/3 cup
- celery - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- fennel bulb - 1/2 cup, thinly shaves, reserve some tops (fronds) for garnish
- scallions - 1/4 cup, finely sliced
- celery leaves - 1/4 cup, washed
- tarragon leaves - 2 tsps., fresh, hand torn
- melted butter - 4 Tbsps.
- New England Style split top hot dog buns - 4 to 6
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lobster to the rapidly boiling water for 9 minutes, transfer to a large bowl of an iced water bath to completely cool. Remove lobster meat from the shells, rough chop the tail & claw meat, leave the knuckle meat whole.
- In a bowl whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest and honey, slowly add in the EVOO in an even stream. Add in the celery, fennel and scallions.
- Wash the celery leaves, fennel tops and the tarragon, spin dry or let rest on a paper towel.
- Brush melted butter on both sides of the New England bun and lightly toast in a pan over medium heat.
- Just prior to filling the rolls, toss the lobster and the vinaigrette.
- Fill the toasted buns and garnish the tops of each roll with the celery leaves, fennel fronds and tarragon.