- Yield: Four 4-inch burgers
Mushroom Barley Burger
Recipe courtesy of Andrew Kneessy, Executive Chef, The Kansas City Country Club, Mission Hills, Kan.
- Steam or boil the potato until tender. Mash with a fork.
- Trim off the stem of the portabella mushroom and scoop out the gills. Chop into ½-inch pieces.
- Thinly slice the cremini and shiitake mushrooms.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil over medium heat. Cook the portabella mushroom and dried thyme for 6 to 8 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to soften and sweat. Add the cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes until mushrooms have sweated off their moisture and the moisture has dried up in the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar.
- Transfer mushrooms to a food processor and coarsely purée. (Alternatively, chop the mushrooms finely by hand.)
- Combine the mushroom mixture with the potato, barley, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Shape into patties.
- In a large oven-safe skillet or non-stick sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp. of oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the patties and cook until browned on each side, 6 to 10 minutes total.