Mediterranean Halibut With Apple and Fennel
Recipe courtesy of Seth Arnold, Executive Chef, West Chester Golf & Country Club
- halibut - 1 ea., 6 oz. filet
- red bell pepper - 2 ea.
- 5x6 tomato - 1 ea.
- onion - 1/2 ea.
- fennel - 1/2 ea.
- apple - 2 ea.
- garlic cloves - 8 ea.
- meyer lemon - 1 ea.
- smoked almonds - 1 cup
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/2 cup
- apple cider vinegar - 1/4 cup
- honey - 1/4 cup
- white bread - 2 slices
- harissa spice blend - 1 Tbsp. (50% caraway, 50% cumin, coriander, cayenne, cardamom)
- salt - to taste
- Apple Fennel Couscous
- apple - 3 ea., small dice
- onion - 1/2 ea, small dice
- fennel - 1/2 ea, small dice
- Israeli couscous - 1 qt.
- water - 1.25 qt.
- parsley - 1/2 cup, chiffonade
- tarragon - 1/4 cup, chiffonade
- salt - to taste
- romanesco cauliflower - 1 ea.
Procedure for Halibut
- Sear in a pan coated lightly with oil.
- Baste with butter.
- Finish in a 350° F oven for 7-8 minutes.
Procedure for Romesco
- Rough chop pepper, tomato, onion, fennel, apple and garlic.
- Spread out in a hotel pan.
- Quarter the lemon and squeeze the juice into the pan. Add lemon to the pan as well.
- Add olive oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, smoked almonds and harissa spice to the pan.
- Tear the white bread into pieces and put on top of other ingredients (allowing it to toast slightly).
- Roast for 20 minutes at 350° F.
- Blend in Vitamix until smooth.
Procedure for Apple Fennel Couscous
- Sweat apple, fennel and onion on low heat until translucent.
- Bring 1.25 qt. water to boil. Add 1 qt. couscous, cover and reduce heat.
- After 7 minutes, water should be absorbed and couscous should be al dente.
- Coat couscous with oil and cool on a sheet tray.
- When cooled, mix with vegetables and herbs.
Procedure for Romanesco
- Cut off core and into uniformly sized florets.
- Toss lightly in oil and salt.
- Roast for approximately 8 minutes at 350° F or until slightly tender and edges start to brown slightly.
- Schemar the romesco along the edge of a bowl, starting in the center. (Chef's note: I like to use a bowl with a short rim.)
- Plate couscous in a line down the center of the bowl.
- Fill in the gap between the couscous and the romesco with the romanesco cauliflower.
- Place the halibut on top of the couscous and romanesco.
- Garnish with shaved apple and a micro green of your choosing. (Chef's note: I like to use radish.)