Korean Short Rib with Kimchi Fried Rice and a Togarashi Egg
Recipe courtesy of Scott Ryan, CEC, AAC Executive Chef, The Country Club
- Ingredients for Short Rib:
- 12- to 14-oz. bone-in short ribs 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce - 6 ea.
- low sodium soy sauce - 1/2 cup
- honey - 1/4 cup
- gochugaru - 1/4 cup
- sesame oil - 2 Tbsps.
- chili garlic sauce - 1 Tbsp.
- garlic - 2 Tbsps., minced
- ginger - 2 Tbsps., minced
- black pepper - 1 Tbsp.
- Sprite - 2 cups
- stock - as needed
- kalbi glace - as needed
- sesame seeds - as needed
- cilantro - as needed
- pickled carrots - as needed
- Ingredients for Kimchi Fried Rice and Togarashi Egg:
- sesame oil - 1 Tbsp.
- garlic - 2 tsps., minced
- ginger - 2 tsps., minced
- cooked short grain rice (cold) - 2 cups
- kimchi - 1 cup, chopped
- kimchi juice - 1/4 cup
- soy sauce, low sodium - 2 Tbsps.
- gochujang - 1 Tbsp.
- scallions - 3 Tbsps., sliced
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- eggs - 4 ea.
- Togarashi - 1 tsp.
- Ingredients for Kalbi Glace:
- sugar - 2 cups
- ginger - 1 tsp.
- garlic - 1 oz.
- soy sauce - 2 cups
- sambal oelek - 1 Tbsp.
- Sriracha - 2 Tbsps.
- sweet chili - 1 Tbsp.
- sesame seeds - 2 Tbsps.
- sesame oil - 1/4 cup
- chives, minced - 1 Tbsp.
- Peel the rib meat down halfway, then tie it to the bone.
- Mix the remining ingredients together and marinate the short ribs for 12 hours.
- Place marinated ribs on a hot charcoal grill and char all the way around for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Braise the short ribs in chicken or beef stock and Sprite with aromatics for 3 to 4 hours, until tender.
- Chill ribs and place in vacuum bags. Cook in Convotherm oven for 12 hours at 185°F. Remove from the bag and char again for crispy outside.
- Finish with kalbi glace, sesame seeds, cilantro, and pickled carrots. Serve with Kimchi Fried Rice and Togarashi Egg (see recipe).
Procedure for Kimchi Fried Rice and Togarashi Egg:
- Heat sesame oil in large pan. Sweat garlic and ginger. Add cooked rice and fry over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add kimchi and juice, soy sauce, gochujang and scallion and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- In separate, non-stick pan, heat olive oil and cook eggs sunny-side up, sprinkle with togarashi, and place on top of fried rice.
Procedure for Kalbi Glace:
- Place sugar, ginger, garlic, and soy in blender and puree.
- Add sambal oelek, Sriracha, sweet chili and pulse.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients. (Do not puree.)