Key Lime Pie
Recipe courtesy of Alex Hwang, Executive Pastry Chef, Cherokee Town & Country Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- key lime juice - 2.7 oz.
- pasteurized yolks - 2.7 oz.
- sweetened condensed milk - 8.3 oz.
- citric acid water (1 part water, 1 part citric acid powder) - dash
- cream - 5.5 oz.
- pasteurized egg white - 1.9 oz.
- sugar - 1.5 oz.
- gelatin solution, melted (1 part gelatin powder, 6 parts water) - 1.5 oz.
- Combine yolks, juice and acid in a bowl.
- Whip cream reserve into soft peaks.
- Whip room-temperature egg whites and sugar to soft peaks.
- Stir warm gelatin solution into the meringue and combine thoroughly.
- Fold yolk mixture into the meringue. (Chef’s note: Be sure to combine thoroughly or meringue will cause lumps.)
- Fold in whipped cream. If mixture is loose, let sit for a few minutes, and it will begin to gel. The filling should mound up slightly, not runny.
- Portion into graham shells.