- Yield: 1 serving
Grilled Salmon With Lemon Smashed Potatoes, Charred Tomato Relish and Basil Aioli
Recipe courtesy of Matt Azevedo, Executive Chef, The Peninsula Golf & Country Club (San Matteo, Calif.)
- wild king salmon - 1 ea., 8 oz. portion, skin on
- Lemon Smashed Potatoes
- fingerling potatoes - 1/5 lb., cut into 1” pieces
- lemon juice - 1 ea.
- Charred Tomato Relish
- large heirloom tomatoes - 6 ea.
- toybox cherry tomatoes - 6 ea., halved through the stem
- shallots - 2 ea., diced fine
- parsley - 1/2 bunch, finely minced
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup
- sherry vinegar - dash
- Charred Basil Aioli
- egg yolks - 4 ea.
- whole egg - 1 ea.
- blended cooking oil - 2 cups
- basil - 3 bunches, de-stemmed
- lemon juice - 1/2 ea.
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, blanch basil leaves until tender, about 30 seconds. Immediately submerge in ice water.
- Squeeze water out of basil and combine in a blender with 1/2 cup blended cooking oil. Purée to a smooth, bright green purée.
- Add egg, egg yolks, lemon juice and desired pinch of salt to a food processor. Purée until smooth, the slowly drizzle in basil oil to emulsify. Finish with 1 to 1 1/2 cups blended oil. Season to taste. Set aside.
- Submerge potatoes in a pot of cold, salted water and bring to simmer. Cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Char heirloom potatoes on a hot grill until the skin begins to peel and turns black, about 3 to 5 minutes. Let tomatoes cool slightly, then roughly chop them and toss with shallots, parsley, olive oil and sherry vinegar. Season to taste.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup blended cooking oil. Once oil reaches smoke point, smash potatoes with the back of a spoon by hand and fry them in the sauté pan until crispy, about 3 minutes. Do not overcrowd pan. Finish potatoes with lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Grill salmon to desired temperature.