Grilled Filet with Creamed Spinach, Truffle Whipped Potatoes, Pickled Tomatoes and Maytag Bleu Cheese
Recipe courtesy of J. Kevin Walker, CMC, AAC, Executive Chef, Ansley Golf Club
- For pickled tomatoes:
- baking soda - 2 Tbsps.
- water - 2 qts.
- pear tomatoes - 4 pts.
- rice vinegar - 3 cups
- water - 3 cups
- sugar - 1 1/2 cup
- kosher salt - 6 Tbsps.
- garlic cloves - 6 ea.
- black peppercorns - 2 Tbsps.
- jalapeno - 1 ea., sliced
- ginger root coins per pickling jar - 4 ea.
- garlic cloves - 3 ea.
- basil - 1 sprig
- To plate:
- filet mignon - 4 ea., 6-ozs. each
- creamed spinach - 4 portions
- whipped potatoes flavored with truffle - 4 portions
- Maytag blue cheese - 4 wedges, 2-ozs. each
- scallions - 2 ea., seasoned and grilled
- pickled tomotoes - 3 ea.
- cabernet sauce - 6 ozs.
Procedure for Pickled Tomatoes:
- Combine baking soda and water.
- Add tomatoes and allow to soak for 15 minutes. Strain and rinse.
- Combine next eight ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Sterilize mason jars and lids following manufacture’s directions.
- Fill mason jars with tomatoes, garlic clove and basil sprig.
- Strain pickling liquid and fill mason jars.
- Seal, place in pot and cover with water by 1”. Boil for 20 minutes. Remove to counter to cool. (If combi-oven is available set to 220°F full steam and steam for 20 minutes.)
- Reserve for service.
- Grill filet to order.
- Mound spinach and place filet on top.
- Pipe potatoes on plate.
- Garnish with bleu cheese, pickled tomatoes, and cabernet sauce.
- Top filet with grilled scallions.