- Yield: 24 pieces (each 1/2 artichoke)
Grilled Artichokes with Smoked Olive Oil Mayonnaise
Recipe courtesy of Angel Camacho, Executive Chef, Alpine Country Club, Demarest, N.J.
- baby artichokes - 12, cooked sous vide
- olive oil - for coating, smoked
- mayonnaise - recipe follows
- garlic chive crumb - recipe follows
- kosher salt - for coating
- For Smoked Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- egg yolk - 1
- kosher salt - 1/2 tsp.
- water - 1 tsp.
- fresh lemon juice - 1 tsp.
- extra virgin olive oil - 4 ozs.
- smoked olive oil* - 4 ozs. * Smoked oil can be purchased, or prepared by smoking a mixture of blended oil and extra-virgin olive oil (50/50) at 120º F for two hours over choice of wood in a smoker
- salt - to taste
- For Garlic Chive Crumb
- garlic cloves - 10, chopped
- chives - 3 Tbsps., finely sliced
- panko - 1 cup
- clarified butter - 3 ozs.
- Coat cooked artichokes with smoked olive oil and kosher salt; place on charcoal grill.
- Top with smoked olive oil mayonnaise and garlic chive crumb.
For Smoked Olive Oil Mayonnaise:
- Combine egg yolk, salt, water and lemon juice in blender. Turn the blender to low, then to medium as egg yolk mixture begins to thicken.
- Combine the oils in a measuring cup. Once the egg yolk mixture is semi-thick, start to slowly pour oils into blender until mayonnaise forms.
- Check the seasoning and add salt if needed.
For Garlic Chive Crumb:
- In a non-stick skillet, place garlic and panko on low heat.
- Continue to heat while adding butter and stirring continuously until golden brown.
- Add sliced chives and salt to taste.