- Yield: 2 quarts
Gramercy Tavern Lentil Soup
Recipe courtesy of Michael Anthony, Chef.
- shitake mushrooms - 1/2 lb., quartered
- butter - 2 Tbsps., unsalted
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- stalks celery - 3, sliced withwise in 1/4 inch slices
- shallots - 3, sliced
- carrot - 1, medium diced
- onion - 1, medium diced
- garlic cloves - 5, thinly sliced
- cumin - 1 tsp., ground
- red wine vinegar - 1/4 cup
- black Beluga lentils - 1 cup
- vegetable stock - 1 pint
- red wine vinegar - to taste
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- In a medium saucepan or small Dutch oven over medium-high heat, sauté shiitakes in olive oil for about 7 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter, shallots, onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Season with salt and sweat until all vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and toast for 2 minutes.
- Add red wine vinegar to pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until completely dry.
- Add lentils and enough vegetable stock to cover the lentils, about 1 pint.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until lentils are soft but not mushy, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer mixture along with ¼ cup olive oil into the Vitamix® Vita-Prep® 3 container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 1 minute or until desired consistency is reached.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Adjust the consistency with more vegetable stock if needed. Season to taste with red wine vinegar, salt and white pepper.
*The soup is delicious on its own, or could be served with any/all of these recommended garnishes:
- Merguez sausage, roasted and sliced
- Small dice of onion, carrot, celery, celery root or fennel sautéed in olive oil until tender
- Small dice of red onion, marinated in red wine vinegar
- Minced fine herbs