Gluten-Free Local Dungeness Crab Cake with Tropical Fruit Salsa and Spicy Mango Coulis
Recipe courtesy of Scott Diehl, Executive Chef of Diablo (Calif.) Country Club.
- For Crab Cake
- olive oil - 2 Tbsps., blended
- red bell pepper - 1/4 cup, diced
- yellow bell pepper - 1/4 cup, diced
- onion - 1/4 cup, diced
- celery - 1/4 cup, diced
- chives - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- tarragon - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- parsley - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- old bay seasoning - 1 Tbsp.
- Dungeness Lump Crab - 1 lb.
- kosher salt - 1 tsp.
- ground white pepper - 1/2 tsp.
- mayo - 1/2 cup
- dijon mustard - 1/4 cup
- lemon juice - 2 each, fresh squeezed
- Tabasco sauce - 1 tsp.
- For Tropical Fruit Salsa
- mango - 1/4 cup, diced
- pineapple - 1/4 cup, diced
- papaya - 1/4 cup, diced
- tomato - 1/4 cup, diced
- jalapeno - 1 tsp., minced
- cilantro - 1 tsp., chopped
- lime - 1, juice and micro plane zest
- For Spicy Mango Coulis
- Spanich onion - 1, diced
- mango - 2, peeled and diced
- yellow pepper - 2, diced no seeds or white
- mighty mango puree - 1
- red chili flakes - 1 tsp.
- blended oil - 2 Tbsps.
For Crab Cake
- Place a sauté over medium heat pour in the oil and the bell peppers onion and celery in the sweat until soft do not brown. Add the chopped herbs and old bay to the pan and let cool. Open the can of crab and drain out the water pour the crab meat into a large bowl add the vegetable herbs. Mix together and season with salt and pepper and mix in the mayo, mustard, lemon juice and Tabasco. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Portion the crab mix into 6 equal balls and press to form a tight patty.
- Place a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat add the remaining oil and place the crab cake in the pan and cook when golden brown, flip over and continue to cook until both sides are nice and brown. Place in 350° oven for five minutes and remove.
- On your serving plate, spoon 2 ozs. of the spicy mango puree in a circle about 4in. in diameter. Place the crab cake in the middle of the mango puree. Spoon the tropical fruit salsa and garnish with micro greens.
For Tropical Fruit Salsa
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, season and mix together well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
For Spicy Mango Coulis
- Place a saucepan over medium heat add the oil. When the oil is hot add the diced onion and chili flakes. Sauté for about three minutes add the diced yellow pepper and mango and continue to slowly cook down. After about five minutes when soft add the Might mango puree and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from the stove fill your blender cup half full with mango mixture and puree until very smooth and strain through fine mesh sleeve repeat until all the mango mixture has been pureed and strain season and taste adjust if needed.