- Yield: 10 servings
Gaucho-style Spinalis Steak
Recipe courtesy of Marcus de Koning, Executive Chef, Phoenix (Ariz.) Country Club.
- Spinalis steaks - 10, prime ribeye cap
- sea salt - to taste
- fresh ground pepper - to taste
- basting liquid - see recipe below
- chimichurri sauce - see recipe below
- For Chimichurri Sauce
- parsley - 6 cups chopped
- garlic cloves - 20, minced
- salt - 5 tsp.
- fresh ground pepper - 6 tsp.
- chili pepper flakes - 3 tsp.
- fresh oregano leaves - 8 Tbsp., chopped
- shallot - 8 Tbsp., minced
- olive oil - 3 cups
- sherry wine vinegar - 6 Tbsp.
- lemon juice - 6 Tbsp.
- For Basting Liquid
- cayenne pepper - 2 Tbsp.
- sea salt - 5 Tbsp.
- hot water - 1 cup
- Marinate the steaks in half of the chimichurri sauce for two hours. Then season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat the grill.
- Put the steaks on the grill and baste with basting liquid. Cook to desired temperature and let rest for 12 minutes.
- For plating, slice steaks on the bias and serve with the remaining chimichurri sauce.
For Chimichurri Sauce
- Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and pulse until well-chopped, nut not pureed.
For Basting Liquid
- Dissolve cayenne pepper and sea salt in the hot water.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle.