- Yield: 10 servings
Fried Fish Tacos
Recipe courtesy of Michael Matarazzo, Executive Chef, Farmington Country Club, Charlottesville, Va.
- fresh cod filet - 1.5 lbs.
- For Frying Batter
- all purpose flour - 1 cup
- corn starch - 1 cup
- paprika - 2 tsps.
- old bay seasoning - 1/2 tsp.
- seltzer water - 2 cups
- salt - 1/4 tsp.
- For Roasted Corn Slaw
- fresh roasted corn kernels - 1 cup
- cilantro - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- green cabbage - 2 cups, shredded
- carrot - 1/4 cup, shredded
- red bell pepper - 1.5 ozs., julienned
- white vinegar - 1/2 cup
- sugar - 1/4 cup
- limes - 2 fresh, juiced
- salt - 1 tsp.
- For Chipotle Mayonnaise
- canned chipotle peppers in adobo - 1 Tbsp.
- mayonnaise - 1 cup
- Final Assembly
- corn tortillas - 10 fresh 6 inch
- shredded pepperjack cheese - 1/2 cup
- chipotle mayonnaise - 1/4 cup (see recipe above)
- lime wedges - 20
For Frying Batter:
- Whisk all ingredients together until thin pancake batter consistency is achieved; reserve in the refrigerator until service.
For Roasted Corn Slaw:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and allow 4 hours to marinate. Adjust seasoning as needed.
For Chipotle Mayonnaise: (Yield: 1 cup)
- Combine chipotle peppers and mayonnaise in a food processor and process until well-combined.
- Cut cod into two-ounce strips and reserve.
- At service place two tacos onto the griddle to gently warm them. Flip the tortillas one and sprinkle a little pepperjack onto each one to begin melting. Remove tortillas from grill once thoroughly warmed.
- Spread a small amount of chipotle mayonnaise onto each tortilla.
- Dip two pieces of cod into the frying batter and fry in a 350º F. deep fryer until deep golden brown.
- Once browned, season the fish with salt and place one piece on top of each tortilla. Top with the roasted corn slaw.
- Garnish with two lime wedges and serve.