Fresh Heart of Palm, Wild Mushrooms and a Bittersweet Blood Orange Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Scott Diehl, Executive Chef of Diablo (Calif.) Country Club.
- For Scallops
- fresh diver sea scallops - 16, not frozen or chemical treated
- kosher salt - 1/2 tsp.
- cracked white pepper - 1/4 tsp.
- grape seed oil - 1 Tbsp.
- unsalted butter - 2 Tbsps.
- fresh thyme - 1 Tbsp.
- fresh wild mushroom - 1.2 lb., sautéed
- fresh heart of palm - 4 ozs., cut in half length wise and sliced half-moon, not canned
- For Sauce
- blood orange juice - 1 pt., squeezed
- unsalted butter - 8 ozs., diced and chilled
- kosher salt - pinch
- cracked white pepper - pinch
- For Garnish
- orange segment - 24
- micro greens - 2 ozs.
- chives - 1/4 cup fresh, chopped
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Place sauté pan over high heat add the oil when smoking add the scallops flat side down. When golden brown flip over and place in a 350° oven for 3-4 minutes or until medium rare to medium.
- Remove scallops from the pan add the unsalted butter and thyme to the sauté pan when the butter has melted add the mushrooms and fresh heart of palm cook through. Reserve to serving.
- Pour the orange juice in a non-reactive saucepan, place over high heat bring to a boil and reduce down to a syrup. When the juice is reduced lower the heat and start stirring in the chilled butter when the sauce is thick and skinny season with the Kosher salt and pepper, taste and adjust if needed. Reserve to serving.
- On a salad plate spoon the wild mushroom and heart of palm ragout in the center and place the orange segment around spoon 1 1/2 oz. of the orange sauce around the mushroom mixture.
- Place the scallops on the side of the mound in the center of the plate and garnish with micro greens and chives.