Foie Gras French Toast
Recipe Courtesy of Jeffrey S. Kolbas, Executive Chef, Wanakah Country Club, Hamburg, N.Y.
- Hudson Valley Foie Gras - 3, 2-oz. pieces
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Cast Iron Pan - 1
- French Baguette - 3, ½-inch thick, bias-sliced
- eggs - 2
- cream - 3 Tbsps.
- minced shallot - 2 tsps.
- salt - 1 pinch
- cracked pink peppercorn - 1 pinch
- brandy - 1/4 cup
- bing cherries in syrup - 1/2 cup
- demi-glace - 1/4 cup
- butter - 2 tsps.
- Season the Foie with the salt n pepper. In a cast iron pan, on medium heat, sear the Foie on both sides.
- Transfer the foie to a sizzler pan and finish in the oven, 400degrees for 3-4 min.
- Save the fat from the foie.
- Whip the eggs and cream together and season with salt n pepper
- Dip the Baguette in the egg mix, and then fry them in the duck fat until golden brown. Pat the French toast with a clean towel, then transfer to your favorite plate.
- Discard most of the fat from the French toast then add the shallot, salt and pink peppercorn.
- Deglaze with the Brandy, add the Bing cherries and Juice and the demi. Reduce the sauce till it coats a spoon. Remove from the heat, then whisk in the butter.
- Top the French toast with the seared Foie Gras and top with the sauce.
- Garnish with sliced scallions or fresh chives.