Flaxseed Fennel-Crusted Sea Scallop with sautéed spinach, chervil-lemon sauce, crispy bacon
Recipe courtesy of Marvin Herrera, Executive Chef, Augusta (Ga.) Country Club
- For Sauce
- white wine - 1/4 cup
- lemon - 1/2 ea., juiced
- bay leaf - 1
- peppercorns - 3
- thyme - 1 sprig
- heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- unsalted butter - 2 Tbsps., cold
- chervil - 1 Tbsps., chopped
- For garnish
- carrots - 1 Tbsp., minced
- celery - 1 Tbps., minced
- bacon - 1 Tbsp., crispy, chopped
- For Flaxseed Crust
- flaxseed - 1 Tbsp.
- fennel seeds - 1 Tbsp.
- kosher salt - 1 tsp.
- white pepper - pinch
- For Scallop
- U10 scallops - 4 ea.
- baby spinach - 1 cup
- garlic - 1 tsp., chopped
- olive oil - as needed
- salt and white pepper - to taste
- For the sauce: In a small saucepan place wine, lemon juice, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and reduce by half. Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the cold butter to emulsify. Remove from the heat, strain, season with salt and white pepper. Add chopped chervil and set aside.
- For the garnish: Sauté carrots, celery and season to taste.
- For the crust: Place all ingredients in a coffee grinder to create a dust.
- Coat the top and bottom of the scallops with the flax seeds mixture. Sear in a sauté pan on high heat. Finish by roasting in a 350°F oven until cooked through.
- Sauté spinach with garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, place scallop over sautéed spinach, sauce, and top with garnish.