Farmer Squash Salad
Recipe courtesy of Colby Newman, Executive Chef, Amarillo (Texas) Country Club.
- For Roasted Acorn Squash
- Acorn squash - 4, cut in half length wise, deseeded and cut into 1 inch thick half moons
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- salt - 1 Tbsp.
- freshly cracked black pepper - 1/2 Tbsp.
- smoked paprika - 2 Tbsps.
- garlic cloves - 10, crushed
- thyme sprigs - 20
- maple syrup - 2 Tbsps.
- For Maple Whipped Ricotta
- ricotta - 2 cups
- olive oil - 2 Tbsps.
- maply syrup - 3 Tbsps.
- kosher salt - pinch
- For Brown Butter Vinaigrette
- unsalted butter - 4 Tbsps. (1/2 stick)
- shallot - 1, minced
- kosher salt - 1/4 tsp.
- fresh ground black pepper - to taste
- sherry vinegar - 3 Tbsps.
- olive oil - 1/2 cup
- fresh thyme - 1 tsp., finely chopped
- fresh parsley - 1 Tbsp., finely chopped
- For Brown Butter and Pecan Granola
- unsalted butter - 1/2 cup
- dark brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- honey - 1/4 cup
- vanilla - 2 tsps.
- pecans - 1/2 cup, chopped
- oats - 2 cups
- orange zest - 1 tsp.
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp., ground
- kosher salt - 1/2 tsp.
- cranberries - 1/2 cup, dried
- For Aruglua Salad
- arugula - 1 cup
- red apple - 1/2, med dice
- brown butter vinairgrette - 1 1/2 Tbsps., just enough to coat
- brown butter pecan granola - 2 Tbsps.
- pomegranate seeds - for garnish
For Roasted Acorn Squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the cut squash and all the other ingredients, until mixed evenly.
- Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and spread out evenly. Place in oven and roast rotating pan every 10 minutes until golden brown (about 30 min).
- Pull sheet pan from oven and cool to room temperature.
For Maple Whipped Ricotta
- Place ricotta into a robot coupe.
- With motor running, drizzle in olive oil until well blended (about 15-20 seconds).
- Next, drizzle in maple syrup until well blended (another 15-20 seconds).
- Season with kosher salt to enhance flavors.
For Brown Butter Vinaigrette
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. You are looking to brown the milk solids, but not burn them. When the butter has browned remove from the heat and add shallot, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the brown butter mixture into a blender and add the vinegar.
- Turn the blender on medium and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Turn blender off and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add fresh thyme and parsley, and stir to combine.
Brown Butter and Pecan Granola
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In a saucepan melt and brown the butter.
- Place brow butter in a bowl and whisk in brown sugar, honey and vanilla.
- Mix pecans, oats, orange zest, cinnamon and salt. Drizzle in butter mixture and toss.
- Spread granola mixture on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 min. Until golden brown. Stirring mixture a couple of times.
- Let cool.
- Break into clusters. Mix in dried cranberries.
- Spread 2 Tbsps. of the whipped ricotta with a soon.
- Place 3 slices off the roasted squash across the ricotta. Toss the arugula, apple and vinaigrette in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Lay the salad down across the squash and garnish with the granola and pomegranate seeds.