- Yield: 1 10″ cake
Currahee Club’s Tropical Fruit Orange Glazed Sponge Cake
Recipe courtesy of Veejooruth Purlmessue, Pastry Chef, Currahee Club
- For Sponge Cake
- eggs - 8
- sugar - 2 cups
- flour - 2 cups
- oil - 1/4 cup
- For Orange Glaze
- orange juice - 2 cups
- sugar - 1 cup
- pectin - 1/2 tsp., or gelitan powder
- For Cake Decoration
- kiwi - 1
- apple - 1
- star fruit - 1
- peach - 1
- strawberries - 1/2 dozen
- blackberries - 1/2 dozen, large
- mango - 1
- grapes basil - 1/2 dozen, or mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl use a hand mixer to combine eggs and sugar until pale yellow.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly and gently fold the flour and oil into the egg mixture.
- Grease a 10in pan with pan spray and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. To ensure the cake is fully baked, softly place the tip of a butter knife into the middle of the cake. If the knife comes out clean, it is ready.
- Allow the cake to cool down to room temperature.
- While the cake is cooking begin prepare your glaze.
- Using a small sauce pot, combine the orange juice and sugar and on medium heat bring it to boil. Reduce the heat and stir the mixture, it should have a thick consistency.
- Stir in pectin (or gelatin powder).
- Allow glaze to cool to room temperature.
- Using a cake spatula spread the cooled glaze over the cooled cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the fruits and basil or mint leaves.