- Yield: 6 servings
Cornish Cubano Pastry
Recipe courtesy of Simon Lewis, Executive Chef, The Riviera Country Club, Pacific Palisades, Calif.
- pastry dough - 784 g. (see recipe as needed)
- Cuban pork shoulder - 455 g.
- spice mix - (see recipe as needed)
- braising liquid - (see recipe as needed)
- thin sliced ham - 6 pieces
- Vienna dill pickle - 6 slices
- Dijonnaise - 60 g. (see recipe as needed)
- egg yolks - 33 g.
- For Dijonnaise
- dijon mustard - 45 g.
- mayonnaise - 15 g.
- For Pastry Dough
- all purpose flour - 453 g. sifted
- kosher salt - 5 g.
- lard - 170 g.
- butter - 56 g.
- cold water - 100 g.
- For Spice Mix
- cumin - 5 g.
- chili powder - 2 g.
- coriander - 2 g.
- oregano - 1 g.
- salt - 4 g.
- white pepper - 1 g.
- garlic powder - 2 g.
- onion powder - 2 g.
- For Braising Liquid
- orange juice - 200 g.
- pineapple - 400 g.
- lime juice - 150 g.
- garlic cloves - 4
- bay leaf - 1
For Pastry Dough:
- Break down the butter and lard into the flour and salt, using the tips of your fingers. Then incorporate and knead in 100g cold water to make a firm dough.
- Cut equally into six pieces and then chill for 20 minutes.
For Pork Shoulder:
- Rub the pork shoulder with spice mix.
- Grill marinated shoulder until it is slightly charred.
- Place charred shoulder into a roasting pan with a rack. Fill pan with braising liquid.
- Cover roasting pan with foil and braise in oven for two to three hours at 375ºF, until the meat is fork-tender.
- Let cool and shred the pork.
- Let pastry dough temper for 10 to 20 minutes to soften slightly. Roll out the dough portions with a rolling pin into circles. Dough should be approximately 15cm in diameter (find a plate or ring mold with a 15-cm diameter, to create a perfect circle).
- Place the sliced ham in the center of the dough. Spread a layer of Dijonnaise on top of the sliced ham. Place pickle on top of Dijonnaise. Spread another layer of Dijonnaise on top of pickle.
- Place 70g of the pulled Cuban pork on top of the Dijonnaise.
- With a brush, brush circumference of the pastry dough with egg yolk.
- Fold the dough over the filling to create a half moon. Pince the edges and decoratively fold and crimp the edges of the pastry, to seal.
- Place pastries on non-stick sheet pan and bake at 350ºF for approximately 20 minutes.