Corn Fried Hamachi Collars
Recipe courtesy of Wes Tyler, CEC, CCA, WCMC, Executive Chef, One Carlton Woods Drive (The Woodlands, Texas)
- hamachi collars - 4 ea.
- jicama & supreme citrus slaw - 2 oz.
- yuzu aioli - 2 oz.
- peppadew peppers - garnish
- fresh cilantro - garnish
- Ingredients for the Jicama & Supreme Citrus Slaw
- supreme orange - 2 oz., segments
- jicama - 1 oz., julienne
- lemon - 1/2 ea., fresh
- cilantro - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Ingredients for the Yuzu Aioli
- egg yolks - 2 ea.
- yuzu lime juice - 4 Tbsp.
- garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- extra virgin olive oil - 1 cups
- salt - 1 tsp.
- Ingredients for the Breading Station
- corn flour - 1 lb.
- all-purpose flour - 1 lb.
- eggs - 6 ea., whole
- salt - 2 Tbsp.
- black pepper - 1 Tbsp., course ground
Procedure for the Jicama & Supreme Citrus Slaw
- In a small stainless steel mixing bowl, combine jicama, orange segments and cilantro.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon into slaw and toss lightly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Procedure for the Yuzu Aioli
- In a blender or food processor, combine egg yolks, yuzu lime juice, garlic and salt. Blend well.
- With blender or food processor on, slowly add the oil in a steady stream to emulsify with egg mixture.
- Once aioli is smooth and of thick consistency, remove and transfer to squirt bottle.
Procedure for the Breading Station
- In a medium-sized stainless steel mixing bowl, combine corn flour, all-purpose flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In a separate medium-sized stainless steel mixing bowl. Whisk eggs until frothy and well-blended.
- Using the breading station, coat the collars in corn flour mixture and transfer to eggwash.
- Once thoroughly coated with eggwash, return to corn flour mixture and dredge well.
- Using a pan or deep fryer, heat oil to 350° F, and fry collars for 3-4 minutes depending on size, or until internal temperature is 140° and collars are golden brown.
- Once fully cooked, remove from fryer, let drain and transfer to plate.
- Using the squirt bottle, generously squeeze the aioli over the collars (served on side, optional).
- Place the jicama and supreme citrus slaw on top of the collars.
- Garnish with peppadew peppers and fresh cilantro.